cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Printer_girl
Apprentice

I also have this printhead error for the MX700. We tried the uninstalling of the printhead, reinstalling, etc. The Canon Rep said we should take it in for service. The Canon service person said we needed a new printhead. When they tried ordering it Canon told them it was discontinued. There appear to be people selling them on ebay so that is our next step in getting our printer up and running again.

ladyross_60
Apprentice

I have been a Canon fan for years... love their FINE technology. Puts my Epson to shame.

BUT My 15 month old MX892 went south with the dreaded U052 error. PLEASE PUBLICISE this error on social media.

Had I known I would never have bought the MX892 to start with. 

So far I have seen ZERO legitimate fixes. Spending $70 plus on ink has not fixed the error for anyone I have read about; it's thowing good money after bad technology. Yes, it forces one to buy a new printer, and no one I've read about chose to go back to Canon. Can't they see they are ruining repeat business? Evidentally not.

Canon lost this customer. I bought the Epson Workforce to replace it but hate the photos compared to Canon's. Solved the problem partially by buying a used Canon from before that error was put in. I'm grudgingly keeping the Epson for the other all-in-one features as my new old pixma is photo dedicated. 

Spent a lot of money so far over this, the initial cost of the Canon MX892, the Epson Workforce to replace it, and now 2 old Canon Pixmas for photo dedication to get all the parts I needed... plus ink for all. LOTS of cash over a stupid firmware error that has turned me off from buying a new Canon for good unless they fix it, and even then all the money I have lost over this might have soured me for good. I am hopping mad at Canon. Count me in on a class action if it ever gets started.

Hexadecimus
Contributor

An update on the current situation. I'll be as specific as I think I can without having the message removed, violating any privileged information, or compromising any claims.

Canon has not provided a fix for this problem.  They're offering discounts, however they amount to online retail prices at N**E**.com and Am****.com.

They have told some of us, including myself, that they are looking into possible solutions.  I don't belive this is an outright lie, but I don't think we'll have a "fix" for our printers.  It's not feasible for them to make a batch of new parts (whether it's the circuitry on the heads or elsewhere that's faulty), and I don't see any arbiter or judge having the power to enforce that.  I DO BELIEVE that they are working internally for damage control and possibly to prevent future issues.  They ARE VERIFIABLY having their lawyers communicate with a law firm.  This is probably the "solution" they are working on.

The firm investigating the issue (I will not mention them my name, go look online) has sent questionnaires to many people with this error and have sent prepaid FedEx labels to some who were willing to provide their printers to the firm.  They wouldn't do this unless they were serious.  They currently ARE NOT in need of additional printers.  If they do need any more, they will contact those who have sent in questionnaires. 

As of last week, they are in the early stages of "litigation".  From my knowledge of law, they're either currently in the discovery phase or are moving toward it.  I would NOT expect to hear much of anything more until (unless) this actually hits courts.  The best way to follow this for now is through the firm's website.

I'll post additional updates if I hear anything more from Canon or the firm, or if anything changes with my situation regarding the U052 error and my printer.

wiredefx
Enthusiast
Meanwhile, while other canon printers are dying, my neighbors pixma mp560 is still running like a champ. Pretty sure it's due to never been updated, never been hooked to a computer or wifi.

plamen
Apprentice

My printer is Canon MG5350. I have used it for two years only and suddenly appeared Error U052. Now I have to by new printer but for sure it will be no Canon.

citris1
Apprentice

I loved my 860mx until today. I talked it up to everyone who asked me about buying a printer. But now I've gotten the U052 print head error. Apprently there is no fix. I won't be buying or recommending another Canon product. It is sad to see a company that has worked so hard over the years to build a reputaion for quality to trash it for so little.

I had the same experience with Panasonic. A couple of bad products from them and a decades long reputation for quality went  down the drain. I never have bought another Panasonc product since.

What ever happened to the teachings of Deming?

Juljoh
Contributor
Hi people. Thanks so much for your posts. Well cannon are u going to replace my printer for me. I always thought canon wAs a top brand. We have canon cameras and always had canon printers. But my current experience with this printer Has been nothing short of stressful and shameful. Canon what are u doing about this error . I have had no response from u. Regards

wiredefx
Enthusiast
Canons 20% off is a joke. If you read carefully, it is 20% off LIST price. Just like the MSRP on a new car. You never pay list price at any retailer. Canons list price on a printer may be $300, 20% off is $240. You can get the same one from a retailer for $200 or less.

Dragonkiss123
Apprentice

I've been using the MP970 for years, no problems. Then today, turned it on and U051 appeared. Nothing had been changed since its last successful printing job. Followed canon's online instructions, now getting U052

Joe94102
Apprentice

This is the second Canon Pixma printer I had that was disabled within one year of purchase by a U052 error, after minimal usage.  The first time was with an MX5220, but I mistakenly thought I was ultimately to blame for the U052 because I tried Sophia cartidges instaed of Canon cartridges.  So I bought an MX5320 and used only Canon cartridges.  Same result -- the printer is literally inoperable. I am dumbstruck by discovery of this thread, the company response, and how long they have allowed customers to waste their money on an entire line of defective products. 

Announcements