cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

I have a Pixma Pro 9000 professional printer and it is a champion... I bought it the same time I got the FIRST multifunction that did this on me.  It has NO screen to yell at me, so they must have decided to not screw people that have that one. 

I HATE CANON.  That is all.

I keep getting email notifications then they bring me to a link that says "removed post"  - LOL. So ethical Canon!

Still waiting on my reply that will never come after Canon said to email them direct. Great job social media person

Hey - how about instead of deleting posts you um I don't know - REPLY.

Anyone switch to an HP Officejet?

My posts are getting deleted too. I'll repost again and again again .

It's just amazing that they pay someone to sit and delete posts but can't pay someone to handle this error!

Amen to that, brother! Brother, now there's a good idea. Brother makes printers and they are reliable for year after year with no corporate ripoffs
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

I just contacted Canon re U052 error, and they are still in complete denial. I threatened to buy another brand printer and they offered me a 25% discount off a new printer. That would make the Pixma 922 $50 more than I could purchase it from Amazon. As much as I loved the pixma 712, I don't think I can buy another Canon printer.

"Amen to that, brother! Brother, now there's a good idea. Brother makes printers and they are reliable for year after year with no corporate ripoffs"

Yeah, since our MP530 is now a big paperweight [because of the U052 error] I went out and bought a Brother MFC-J875DW printer/scanner/fax. We've had it a couple of weeks, now, and we love it tremendously!

Update 9-28-2014:

Still loving our new Brother MFC-J875DW!!

That song is getting old. Nobody is just sitting there deleting comments even a company like canon. I just wish to move past that and chat about the issues at hand. Thanks Brad

faithful1957
Contributor
My mx860 keeps going back and forth between the error code of u052 and b200. I took the print head out, cleaned it and got it to print a couple of things and now it says b200. I tried to contact canon several weeks ago and they never responded to my email. I ordered another printer last night. (Not canon). Such a shame too because I have always bought canon and told others to do so as well.

I cleared my B200 error by cleaning the print head and replacing ALL the ink tanks with new ones. It never came back. Then I got the U052 error and it's not recoverable.
Announcements