cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

wiredefx
Enthusiast
It just proves that canon is covering this up.

wiredefx
Enthusiast
Amazon, Walmart, best buy, staples, and any place that sells canon products.

Mamagull
Contributor

Add me to the list.  I have loved my MG5320 - great results, reasonable ink use.  Then came U052.  I've got a backstock of ink cartridges and it doesn't look like they are used in any of the printers currently available. 

Went through all the procedures listed/recommended and of course no change.  I NEED to be able to print labels for my home-based business.  This entire situation sucks.

wiredefx
Enthusiast
Returned my new EOS 7D2 dslr to best buy yesterday. The tech asked why I was returning it, all I said was "U052", the guy laughed and showed me a box of "defective" printheads. He said that is quickly becoming the biggest issue they have run into with canon printers and can't understand why "canons head is so far up their ass they can't see the customers they are losing every day"... Got my money back. Looking into an Olympus.

wiredefx
Enthusiast
The guy at best buy knew it wasn't a print head issue (I didn't make that clear on my last post). People have been demanding replacement print heads and then bringing them back because it doesn't fix the problem. They can't resell them so they are put in a box.

raj
Apprentice

Hi,

Facing this probem since last few days.

Total waste of time. U052 error with new cartidges on Canon Pixma printer.

Any solutions, anyone found yet?

frodo
Apprentice

Yup, I too have had this problem with my MG5350, and I am VERY NOT IMPRESSED. I, too , may have to consider my loyalty to Canon, as faeces is faeces.

wiredefx
Enthusiast
I let my little cousin have my old canon flatbed scanner. He put it in the bathtub and used it as an aircraft carrier. Believe it or not, it stayed afloat for a couple minutes.

videodude
Contributor

I can't believe it.  Canon actually sent me an email "survey" asking how much I liked their Customer Support.  Although I didn't blast the rep, I let the company have it with both barrels.  I doubt anything will come of it, though.

oetven
Apprentice

Having the same problem with my MX5320 that is over a year old. Only using original Canon cartridges. Just finished a print job, when the U052 error came up, then it stopped working, despite resetting and power off. Tried reseating the print head per Canon instructions from various forums, but it still doesn't work! 

Hope to receive a PM from them!

Announcements