cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

That would be wonderful, but I have Christmas to deal with. Darn Canon twits. I wasn't planning to have to buy a new printer already!

videodude
Contributor

Add me to the list of unhappy Canon printer owners.  I have had a Canon MP560 which has been EXTREMELY reliable up until about 6 months ago.  I got a U200 error.  Cleaned the print head, replaced the ink tanks (which were all fairly new) with new ones, and the error went away.  Yesterday, out of the blue, my wife can't print.  When I looked at the printer, it had the dreaded U052 error.  I removed the ink tanks, cleaned the print head, cycled the AC, replaced everything and still had the error.  Not one to give up easily, I cleaned the print head (the original one that came with the printer) again, put NEW ink tanks in the printer, cycled the power again, and still got the U052 error.  Undaunted, I REMOVED all the ink tanks, cleaned the print head contacts with alcohol, cycled the AC power AGAIN, replaced the print head and DID NOT install the ink tanks.  Guess what?  I STILL GET THE U052 ERROR!  It isn't the ink tanks.  I pulled the print head, cycled the power, removed the print head, and get a U051, which would be the correct error.  Replace the print head (empty), and the U052 comes back.

The printer KNOWS that the print head is installed.  It "thinks" that it's the wrong one.  I agree with other posters on this forum; this is a main board/firmware failure, NOT a printhead failure.

My printer has always produced outstanding images, both graphics and photos.  I love it when it works.  The new ones that I have seen don't have the features that the 560 has.  I am networked, using a USB print server that also drives my HP LaserJet.  I don't use the wireless function.  Canon's "assistance" and suggestions for recovering from this error are pathetically useless.  It is painfully obvious that they KNOW there is an endemic problem, but what are they doing about it?  I'm now stuck with having to find another printer which has the quality of my old, dead Canon, that has similar features, all without spending $500 or more.  And I'm also stuck with a boatload of ink tanks that are totally USELESS!

Canon, step up to the plate and fix my problem.  Or lose me as a customer.  Happy customers tell at least 10 other people how pleased they are.  Unhappy customers tell EVERYONE they meet how unhappy they are.  And Canon makes a lot more products than just printers, but the public doesn't care - they see the name "Canon" and relate it to the "bad experience" they had, or heard, with an unrelated product line.  Like it or not, it's human nature and the way the world turns.

Fix my printer.

Videodude

I would give mega kudos for stating clearly what seems to be a genuine problem. There is chatter indicating the need to initiate a class action. This needs to be done!

You haven't done your homework. There already is a class action being prepared. Several postings above mention it but when they give specific contact details they are deleted. Google is your friend though and you will find what you are looking for. This problem is worldwide and there are unhappy ex-Canon posters from many other countries besides the US. Canon can't ignore this and remain a big player on the world market.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

Got a speedy response from Canon.  They offered me their pathetic "discount" on a new printer.  Without copying my entire response here, the short version is as follows:

Why should I buy another Canon printer when the one I have can't be supported or fixed?  Why should I take your discount when I can get a better deal from Amazon, Best Buy, or Fry's?  This is an endemic problem that Canon isn't addressing and I demanded a better "fix".  Only 10% of customers will complain.  Canon appears to be happy with that percentage of customer loss.  A happy customer tells 10 other people how happy he is with a product; an unhappy customer tells EVERYONE he meets how much a company suc*s.  

Canon makes more product than printers.  They seem to be content with comprimising their other product lines as well.  Right now, I have NO pre-disposition to purchase a Canon camera due to my printer problem.  And I wouldn't recommend Canon to anyone else.  When I had a problem with one of my Olympus cameras, I contacted Olympus, they had me send it to Los Angeles, and PROMPTLY sent me a NEW upgraded model of my camera, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.  And my old one was way out of warranty.  The new camera even came with an EXTENDED warranty!  Needless to say, I LOVE Olympus.   I have had a similar experience with Nikon.

We'll see what happens next.  It ain't over til it's over.

Videodude

nlga
Apprentice

I purchased the Canon Pixma MX895 in September 2012 and yesterday, 5 December 2014, the printer ceased working with the error message U052......

I've tried all the suggested fixes.

The printer only had minimum usage and looks brand new.

Are all Canon printers designed to become inoperable after a couple of years????

If anyone has any solutions, or receives any useful info from Canon, please post.

You are lucky I don't think mine have lasted much longer than their 1yr guarantee Yep they are nearly all the same rubbish

Found a good solution to my Canon problem.  I bought an HP Officejet 4620 at a garage sale for $10.00.  Changed the ink and the thing prints perfectly.  Not going to be calling Canon for their 20% off offer.

Everyone who purchased their printer with a credit card less than 2 years ago - most likely, your CC extends the 1 year warranty to 2 years, so if you're between 1-2 yrs of ownership they will cover it. 

citris1
Apprentice

I am having my Pixma 860 repaired for more then the cost on a new printer. I just can't justify adding more junk to the landfill. Meanwhile I bought at Canon Pixma2820  just to keep going. However I was surpised to see it die in just three weeks. Canon is trashing its good name by selling junk like this. Soon the Canon name will be synonymous with garbage.

Announcements