cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

wiredefx
Enthusiast
It's kind of strange that over the past few months is when all of us starting having this issue. I still say it's a firmware glitch. My printhead works in my neighbors MP560. My neighbors only use it as a stand alone copier, it's never been connected to a computer or wifi setup. So it had no chance for a firmware update, and it's working fine when everyone else's that's connected to the internet is giving the error. Need to find a master reset to rid of all the firmware updates.

This is a repeat of my earlier comment that was removed by canon. The offline use of a printer that is not affected by the U052 programmed dysfunction instruction by canon proves tha case of malicious intent. Go ahead canon remove this one too. We have all the records for the case.u

BW54
Contributor

I have a pixma mp830 and about 10 months ago I got error message wrong print head. After doing everything that Canon showed to try, nothing worked. I purchased a new print head and it actually fixed the problem. The new printhead was very expensive and now here it is 10 months later and I am getting the same message. Wrong printhead!!!  Sometimes it shows error message 5200. Tried everything nothing worked. I am hoping that maybe I will get the Private message to replace the printer. The sad part about it is I dont use it very much for the parts to be wearing out.

Very dissapointed with Canon at this point. They need to make it right to save their reputation.

They need to fix the firmware problem if that is what is causing it

When I complained to Canon they offered to trade it for a REFURBISHED one, assuming it was still under warranty.

ReneAZ
Apprentice

Hi,

I registered just to add my disgust to this whole issue.  I too got the U052 error message last night.  Urggggggh.

Was working fine all day.  Tried all the "solutions" to no avail.

(PIXMA MP560 printer)

Currently doing some online shopping for a replacement.  It will NOT be another Canon after reading all the other models that this happened to!!  I'm thinking a Brother.  (Someone warned me away from the Epsons.)

At least  I got almost 4 years out of it.  Better than some of you I see. 

Anyway, just wanted to add myself to the disgruntled former Canon owners.

(OH, and I had just bought new ink multipack - which as you know is not cheap!!)

Rene in AZ

You were very lucky to get four years use out of it. Many posters here (myself included) have had barely a year of light use before the "self destruct" firmware kicked in. Don't forget to mention your experience with all your friends.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

wiredefx
Enthusiast
Wow. 12 posts were deleted? I will never again buy another canon product. I'm selling everything I have with canon on it, and it is quite a bit. This is crap.

I read those last 12 comments. They were good!  I wonder if the guy actually got banned.  This place seems to be run by an elementary school hall monitor.  "No running!"

SF171P.JPG

ed-be
Contributor

There has to be someone out there ho knows what exactly is wrong or broken in those printers. They are beyeng refurbished.

So it seems to be unlogical that there is no one ho shares this info or tutorial to repare these printers oure self. Sorry for my crappy english , i am from Belgium. And yes , This misserable anoying and sick making U502 message has made me dicide to change printer brand. But i still have 2 pixma printers that i can't fix . So if there is annybody out there.......................HELP.

Yes it would be nice if I could at least use the scanner. Very frustrating when you cannot afford to replace the printer.
Announcements