cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

I completely agree. Canon is losing customers of what I thought were great little robotic printers with terrific print quality and they are losing the revenue stream from ink sales. When you are selling a couple of ink cartridge refills at the cost of a new printer why would you jeopardize the ink cartridge sales. If I get irritated enough I can take your printer apart and find out what component on the motherboard is causing this issue. I'm very good at reverse engineering computerized systems. I could probably tell you how to solve the problem if your honest engineers have not already found the cause.

So my MX892 has decided to go the way of the U052 today.  Looks like I'm in good company.  Honestly, this was otherwise an excellent printer and I would have heartily recommended it to anyone but I'm equally disapointed and likely to tell me friends.  It all started with a ink tank swap for me...

faithful1957
Contributor
Mx860 error message u052. I sent an email to canon a week ago and I can't even get them to respond. I have always purchased Canon printers and spent numerous dollars on ink. I guess someone else will get my dollars now. What happened to this once great company?

Why no response at all from Canon? Not even an I'm sorry, we can't help you. I have been totally ignored. Disappointed.
Mx860 paid top dollar for this printer. Should have lasted longer. Wireless, scanner, photo, and fax. Now all rendered useless.

Well this morning I took out the printer head, cleaned all the contact points with q tips and alcohol. Put it back in, pushed it to the far left and rapidly hit the power button several times. The error message disappeared. So I tried to make a copy and it went through the motions and printed out a blank sheet of paper. I tried to print an email from the computer and it promptly went to a new error. The B200 error? What?!! I give up. Guess I have to shop for a new printer.

wiredefx
Enthusiast
Pixma MP560, good old U052 as well. Nothing canon posts up works. It's odd because I had just printed a bunch of pictures, then some business forms, went to print a data sheet and it printed about an inch then stopped and said "an error has occurred.....", did what it said and U052 "incorrect print head". It was working wonderfully just seconds ago. Come on canon, where is the fix. My printhead works perfectly fine in my neighbors MP560, but theirs won't work in mine. It's firmware. Fix it.

Add me to the list of unhappy Canon customers.   When this happened, all I wanted to do was scan a document.   Incredible that Canon disables the entire multi-function machine due to a full ink pad.    I might try hitting it on the side.   If that doesn't work, I'll try it again.  Harder.  And again....

I know how you feel. I used a sledgehammer on mine. I posted a link to the photo I wanted to share after venting my anger but the Great Admin Ra deleted the link.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

Ataliano
Apprentice

Another one to add.... MP610 dead after being 4 days unplugged and not using it (it worked fine until last time I unplugged it).

Tried everything and nothing works, cleaned the printhead, the copper connectors, everything, subsitution of cartridges and no results overall... U51 first, then OK and U52 appearing (if not appearing directly U52).

The joke is that it works, and the connections works, as the cartridges won't turn their LED on if there was no energy or a misfunction on the connectors. Furthermore even it says the printhead is not installed the printer is able to spend ink, as each time I close the cover, it does the typical cleaning movements and when I take it back, it has ink on them.

This is absolutely a way to make you throw your printer even it's in perfect conditions. I'm sure. I would understand it failing if something happened (trapped papers or anything like these), but can't figure out how can it be broken without even pluggin it to the electricity!!! IT'S BEEN OFF AND IT FAILS. WTF?

Stopped using Epson and HP due to similar problems of obsolescense which were demonstrated, though Canon would be different but I'm seeing they're not. The same **bleep** as the other ones, and no service taking care of it.

And the worst thing is that it blocks your printer entirely. I was going to scan today and I wasn't even able to do it.

LAST CANON PRINTER BOUGHT, AND RECOMMENDED, FOR SURE.

my mp 620 went error with header and after one year mx 870 wrong printhead what should i do any help

Announcements