cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

amfowler
Contributor
I have an MP 980, have just bought expensive new cartridges and got U052, followed the instructions to adjust it, still stuck on U052, can't even go to home menu

amfowler
Contributor

https://twitter.com/hashtag/YouCantOnACanon

Just wasted $100 on new cartridges.

westoned
Apprentice

I have a beloved MP610. Original printhead developed cyan failure, so I replaced it with a used one found on eBay. Worked fine for several months, until last week when U051 errors stated. This could usually be cleared by power cycling the printer, but today reports the U052 error. Have reseated the head repeatedly, including a nice cleaning of the contacts, to no avail.

WTF!

JulieShep
Apprentice

I have this error with my Canon MG5350 - so disappointed as this printer was perfect for me - til it got this error 😞

Off to buy another printer - probably not a Canon

MSFLB
Apprentice

My MX882 printer is the third Canon printer that has died without explanation. It is obvious Canon has planned obsolescence. I am stuck with extra ink cartridges for all of my Canon printers. The latest notice for my MX882 is U052. I have tried everythig to correct the problem. Nothing works. Never again will I buy a Canon product.

bacbm
Apprentice

Its frustrating when U052 turns up on an MP970, reporting wrong print head, when all you want to do is scan some photos in a hurry!

Its also frustrating when the possible causes of U052, which in my case morphed into 5200, probably same thing, are not listed anywhere, so that the possible solutions can be addressed. So much for Canon Support. Yes I will email for help but I think I know what the answer will be...........

Tavistock
Apprentice

As a UK user with the same fault and following the posts from across the pond I've contacted Which magazine, a consumer protection group who have a strong European ties as well testing products. Their reply to me says:

"I'd like to thank you for sharing your comments about Canon and the printers they manufacture; your feedback is extremely appreciated. I've passed your comments to our Technology Research and Editorial team for consideration as they're always interested to hear from members. Reader feedback really does shape the content of the magazine and website, and the more requests we get to look at something, the greater the consideration it will receive".

dm4062
Apprentice

I joined the U052 club this morning with my MG5220. I attempted to fix it by following proposed solutions. Nada. This has all the appearance of a typical programmed absolecence set by the industry. Especially the field of printers. Low cost of printer, high cost of cartridges, then after some short period of time a firmware 'popup' telling you to put your device in trash can and buy a new one.

olliepee123
Apprentice

Count me in too -  just got the U052 error on my mp530. Just got new cartriges too! Tried everything that i've managed to find. Anyone have any other tips?

bacbm
Apprentice

In reporting my U052 problem to this forum last week, I also advised I would email a request to Canon Australia for tech support with respect to my specific U052 problem, but that I suspected a less than useful answer. I thought their response might brighten your day (for the wrong reasons).

"Thank you for contacting Canon Customer Support.

It is indicated that you have resulted to remove a hardware of the machine and the last basic step for troubleshooting is already done. i highly suggest to have the machine check on the nearest Canon customer Service provider."

They also kindly advised a phone number and the name of a real person further assistance....I'll keep you posted.

Announcements