cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

And the very best of luck to you with that one.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.

Well Folks, I have given up and bought an Epson.  Giving me beautiful prints so far! However, I thought I would share with you the latest email correspondence I had with Canon afetr they told me that if my printer was over a year old they could only refer me to their service contractors who would charge for a repair.

My email to Canon...

Thank you for your further reply.  My printer is - was - just over four years old.  I appreciate that your hands are tied but I hope that you will be able to pass on to your superiors just how unhappy I, and many other customers, are.  The Canon USA forum website reveals just how many times this failure occurs and the price of a print head as a 'consumable item' at about 80% of the cost of the original printer just does not make sense.  It's like saying that the engine on a car is a consumable item.

So - I have deserted Canon and bought a new Epson printer.  No more ink revenues for Canon from me.  More unnecessary waste to landfill from the Canon factory. I will not recommend Canon printers to anyone else and I do hope that the *B*B*C W*a*t*c*h*d*o*g* run the item that they are clearly interested in to warn others away from Canon printers.

A very disillusioned former customer...  Please tell your head office!

Off to the dump tomorrow with a pristine printer - what a waste...

Canon's reply to me...

Thank you for your reply, your comments has been forwarded to our Marketing Quality department for review.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

So suggest you all also bombard the Canon Marketing & Quality Department!  Or buy an Epson...(!)

Happy hunting!

I have also dumped Canon and purchased a Brother. Their ink cartiridges are considerable less money, and I am all too happy to relieve Canon from my revenue. The further I look into this, the more people I find who have this ridiculous error on an ortherwise good printer.

ReverseEMF
Contributor

Note: Go strait to the 8/23/2014 UPDATE, unless you're a history buff 😉

I was a diehard Canon Loyal Customer [CLC], but that attitude is tainted by this issue! It started happening to me about a month ago. My Canon MP530 issued a U052 error! I discovered that bouncing* my printer usually clears it long enough to get something printed. Now I'm training myself to keep the printer turned off until I need it.

I'm a busy person, and because I found a "workaround" I put off pursuing this issue any further, until now. Thank you macnicol for starting this thread!! I hope it motivates Canon to correct this defect! If they don't, in the very near future, do something about this, I will cease purchasing Canon products!

UPDATE -- 8/16/2014

My workaround is not working today!! SOB, this is effecting my productivity!! Hmmm, let's see...nope, no word of a Canon solution... guess I'll be buying an HP or Brother [there are, now, two printer manufacturers on my $#!t list: Epson & Canon!!]

UPDATE -- 8/20/2014

The "check cartridge u052" error started happening again. So this time I actually looked up this error in the Canon Knowledgebase and learned that this error has to do with the print head [so, why does it say "cartridge"?!].  I followed the reccomended procedure for "Reseating the printhead", U052 error persisted.  So I removed the printhead and cleaned the contacts with Isopropynol 90% and reinstalled -- again with the U052 error!!!  In other words, I'm COMPLETELY SCREWED!!  In other, OTHER words, it's time to buy a new printer [I shall not be purchasing a new printhead from Canon--for what should be obvious reasons!!!]

So, there are now, two printer manufacturers that are on my $#!t list: Epson and Canon!!!  I've had HP printers, before, but they tend to not be User Friendly, so I think I'll try a Brother.  My mom has a Brother laser that has given her many years of hassle free service, and she tells me they have great customer support, too!

UPDATE -- 8/23/2014

OK, I bought a Brother MFC-j875DW Multi-Printer and it's awesome!  Installation was a breeze.  WiFi setup was very easy --though, being a tech-noid I didn't completely follow the automatic install path.  I was able to WiFi connect two PCs to the printer and so far, my wife and I are happy customers [but only time will tell!]  The current impression is of a well designed system, from hardware to firmware to software!  Nothing new in the price of replacement ink, but the cartridges are SUPER easy to replace!  You don't even have to open the printer -- there's a little compartment in the front that sits behind a hindged lid.  Open that and the cartridges are right there!  Just pop out the old and pop in the new.   And, though I haven't printed a photo [didn't really buy it for that] the print quality is supurb for "business" documents that contain text and graphics!  Also, it seems to be on par, speed wise, with any other inkjet printer in it's price range.  Plus, it has a nice and small foot print, so it doesn't take up a lot of desk space.  I haven't tryed the copier or scanner yet, nor have I FAXed a document.  When I do, I'll update this 😉

* 1Bounce - verb: To cause a computer to reset or re-boot. Most modern printers are controlled by one or more microprocessors. Cycling the power affects a reset on these microprocessors. Thus, the term bounce, used in this context is, essentially, intended to mean cycling the power on the printer.

Wow - I certainly did not expect to find a 44 page thread on this!

Loyal home and business Canon customers for well over 15 years. Have purchased probably 300 printers, cameras and other items for ourselves, business, friends and family and recommendations. Was JUST saying how trusty our printers are when recommending lol - jinxed it I guess!

MP6120 if it matters...same error...cleaned carefully...oem new ink...still the error.

Has there been any email/post on this from Canon, besides the few short replies here? I am surpised if not. I truly hope they will make everyone whole. I will reply back with any resolution - they certainly deserve a full chance to make it right but am a little nervous after reading all of these messages.

No responses from Canon in months. Early posts in this thread referred to Canon sending direct messages offering printer replacement. That has apparently ceased, perhaps as prompted by their legal advisors? Canon deletes any posts regarding specifics. Poor printer design & poor customer service.

UPDATE: 8-20-2014 -- This "solution" only lasted a few days -- now I can't print $#!t!!  Gonna buy a Brother!!!!!

I was able to fix this on my MP530 printer.  I removed all of the ink cartridges and cleaned the gold contacts and then re-installed them.  I cleaned the contacts using a folded up paper towel partially soaked in denatured alchohol.  I rubbed them with modist pressure using the alchohol soaked edge, then dried them using the dry edge of the folded towel.  You might want to use a q-tip instead, unless you're an experienced Electronic Technician [ like I am 😉

FYI: Probably wise to get the ink cartridges back in the printer as soon as possible so the ink doesn't dry too much. 

I also inspected the contacts on the printer using a dental mirror.  Look for dust particals or anything that might impead connection with the cartridge.  Use a brush or "Dust Off" spray to clear.  If that doesn't work, try cleaning the printer side contacts with a Q-Tip and alcohol, making sure not to leave cotton fibers on the contacts [a little more challenging on some printers because the contacts may be hard to reach or see].

Check out the following for more detail and depth of explaination:

Disclaimer: this error code likely has more than one cause.  If cleaning doesn't provide resolution, consider other causes, such as incorrect ink cartridge, defective print head, etc.

nsherlock1
Apprentice

Same issues with my MP560. U052 Print head error.

Any fix?

nope got the same issue. How old is you printer @3 yrs old?

"If anyone happens to have the contact info for higher ups etc please let me know."

You could start with the contacts on this page:

www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon/contact_us/standard_display/abtcan_cu_corporate_tabShell

Announcements