cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

imaginations98
Apprentice

Ugh...my MX700 printer was working fine. Then boom..051 error that I managed to clear.  Followed by the 052 error that won't go away!  None of the solutions offered worked for me.

They keep deleting all my posts!

I am fuming....

Susanne
Apprentice

Yes, it would really be helpful if Canon officially admitted the real reason behind that printhead error code. In fact, I'm a bit surprised why it still seems to be a secret. Considering that here in Germany, every salesperson I talk to (in the electronics department) seems to know that the full ink pad is a common occurrence - not just for Canon, but for all printers.

The uniqueness about Canon is only that the error says "wrong printhead", and if consumers buy new printheads, obviously that's a total waste of money.

As I understand from my research, resetting the EEPROM wouldn't really help, at least not for long. Because if the ink pad is full, it's full, whether the system recognizes it or not. So after some time, even if we were able to successfully remove the error code, something would overflow I suppose. A leak of some sort, I imagine.

If printer manufacturers wanted to alleviate the problem, they might try building larger ink pads into their printers. But I suspect the whole point is to have a printer only last for a couple of years and then to sell a new one. No matter the waste of a perfectly fine machine that lands on a huge plastic gargabe dump.

Since it seems that all printers, all brands, suck up ink from the cartridges to keep the machine clean, and all use ink pads to absorb that ink, my conclusion is - buy the cheapest model you can get, since it will not last you long.

Meanwhile, it is still worthwhile to prove for sure that the full ink pad is the actual reason and to confront Canon with the facts. That's the least they can do, admit what the real problem is. Their new line of printers should say "ink pad full, nothing doing, go buy a new printer."

Add us to the list . . MP610 got the (apparently) dreaded error . . .little did we know . . .. lots of ink cartridges = lots of wasted money for  a college student.  So Glad I found this and we didn't bother wasting time and money trying to get repairs or purchasing a new print head.  I've loved my PIXMA printers . .and have purchased multiple ones and recommended them to many people . . .now . . .I'll have to be thinking long and hard about that 😞

Lally
Apprentice

Add my family to the list. Eldest daughter just started up own small business and youngest just started Masters degree. Due to this I had bought loads of ink cartridges..... Absolutely gutted. 

Our daughter is starting high school next year. Reading through the information from the school about handing in homework there are no exceptions for printer or technology failure. Maybe there should be a Canon exception. We will need to buy a new printer. The MP 980 was expensive and should have lasted longer.

Please tweet to https://twitter.com/hashtag/YouCantOnACanon

cloba
Apprentice

Same with MG5350!

and the same for a MG6250...

yesterday it happened during firmware upgrade 1.0x -> 3.x

nothing helps..

i own a lot of canon dlsr and i was also very happy with the mg6250, but in the last time i saw a lot of canon ink printer dying around me (wife, mother, colleagues), all of them not very old.

as many of you reported, i will also switch to another vendor.. i think it will also be brother (we have a couple of laser printer of them and they do a great job since a couple of years).

regards,

Gereon (from germany)

joshuakwells
Apprentice

Dear Canon,

The printhead affects all of the functionalities of my MG5320 copier, scanner and printer. So now here I am with a $400.00 electriity consumption device and my only recourse is to give you another $100.00 to order a new printhead? I'm not sure how much this item cost for your company to produce but I imagine it is substantially lower.  I honestly hope there's something being done to take care of this issue that has obviously impacted so many of your valued customers.  Thank you for your consideration and have a great day.

Best,

Josh Wells

Unfortunately, Canon only comes here to delete some messages but ignores us all and won't help. If you try to post on their FB or email them they will remove and ignore as well. Great customer service!

Announcements