cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

dmsc33
Apprentice

My Canon MG5220 has been terrific until a week ago when suddenly the Wrong Printhead Error occured... how frustrating to see so many people with this issue and no real solution from Canon.  Shopping for new printer - thinking it won't be a Canon!

lizsanneh
Apprentice

This has just happened to me as well - I've had the MP 970 for about four years and it has been just the most perfect printer for my home needs. However, now it has this error and nothing I do will fix it. Unfortunately I had just sung Canon's praises to two of my sons who are looking for printers - having read the entries on the forum, I have called them to told them to avoid Canon.

I am so frustrated that this has happened, and have discovered that to put a new printer head in costs more than the machine cost originally. Canon could do better than this, and should do.

halcolaw1234
Apprentice

This is so crazy.  Got message and bought new printhead.  Doesn't change a thing.  CANON FIX MY PROBLEM ON MY MX700    I HAVE MANY FULL CARTRIDGES AND SPENT SERIOUS CASH ON THE NEW PRINTHEAD.

Geezer
Apprentice

Summer,

exactly the same here, different printer, but the same outcome, and also the same view as to giving Canon any more money, either for lenses or for bodies, they will not get another penny out of me!

Not that Canon give a **bleep** though, with thier "we've had your money, now pi*# off" attitude towards thier customers!

MonkeyDude
Apprentice

I'd just like to chime in here with my fellow dissatisfied customers and even made a forum account to do so. I've had my trusty MX870 for more than 3 years now and was very annoyed when it suddenly stopped working yesterday. I've done the generic troubleshooting response and only got wasted time for my efforts. 3 years is a rather decent amount of time to own a printer and it has served me well over the years. However, I don't appreciate that the reason it broke may be due to an inherent manufacturing defect.

Thanks for making this thread and bringing this rather common occurrence to light. I certainly didn't know it could be a manufacturing defect and was reading to chalk this up to old age. Needless to say I require a new printer and it will most certainly not be a Canon. Shame as I do like their products and even own a Powershot SX210IS.

Yours Truly,

A Disgruntled Customer

PS: Why does your forums not work on Firefox?

mathman54481
Apprentice

I have a Canon  MP560. I have been very happy with this printer, until last night. The dreaded UO52 error. Apparently there is no fix to this problem.

I have been researching Brother and Epson printers.

Unless Canon contacts me, I will order a new printer tomorrow afternoon (Monday August 18). The new printer will not be a Canon printer.

Rick Mitchell

realfoneguy
Contributor

I too have a Pixma MP560 that has been working great as a replacement for a HP printer when HP could not get its software off my PC. That printer had to be tossed as it would not work after a widows upgrade. So I bought the Canon MP560. Yep, I have a error that says I have the wrong printhead in the unit. Well, I did not even know I had replaced it withg the wrong one as I have never replaced a printhead, only the ink cartridges. So I purchased a print head. Lucky for me it was less than $25.oo Easy as pie to install only to find that the eroor it produces is the fact there is something wrong internally in the printer and to call customer service. I have tried everything others have tried except the paper jam issue as that sounded rediculous.

So I will call service and raise my blood pressure for someone at the other end who will seem surprised I am having an issue. Wish me luck. By the way I love my Canon camera so I don't think any hate to canon will pertain to my camera.

So lets see if I can get an email from canon for a replacement printer. First Off do not offer me a replacement for some outragous amount. That will not happen. I am quite frustrated that the printer is bad in this way anyway because I have done nothing to make it this way. So I will put Canon on notice, this is your blog and I am signed in. I want a suitable replacement for my printer or I want it fixed for free. Send me a new control board and I will put it in. I repair industrial equipment all day, so it won't be hard for me to do. Why would you make my printer go bad after such a short time? I will enter as part of a class action suit if you do not respond to my demands., My email is ballen ate  frontiernet dot net. I will be lkooking for a response.

shoresheppard
Apprentice

Pixma MX700.  Happened out of the blue.  Tried everything suggested, to no avail.

workingmum
Apprentice

MP 610 now a brick. I just want to use it for scanning but nope, the printer head error U052 will not allow a workaround. Annoyingly last time I used it the printer was fine. It just ... stopped. I have tried all the fixes short of buying a new printer head, and have just put a bunch of new cartridges in, which was a waste of money and time. Very frustrating. Canon have lost me as a customer too now, this completely sucks.

sanvan
Apprentice

Add me to the list of people who have a Canon 5320 and got the print head error. No changes were made at all and suddely I am shut down. My printer is not event hat old, It is critical that I have one that operates. Now I have to go buy a new one right away...it will NOT be a Cannon.

Announcements