cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

varmsb
Apprentice

MG5220 just got a U052 error.  I was just printing earlier today without an issue.

paulvgreenstock
Apprentice

MG5250 was a lovely printer for a couple of years and now this !!  U052 !!  Ive tried all the advice I can find to no avail. So off to the scrap heap and never buy Canon again.  And recommend that other people avoid them too.

shankarab
Apprentice

I bought a MX860 all-in-one printer a couple of years ago, and it started giving the U052 error last month. I have tried everything that I could find on the web, no use. This was an expensive buy for me and I won't be buying Canon again.If so many people are affected by the same error, then this is definitely a design defect and canon should fix it for free.

antipasfoto
Apprentice

I have MX850.

Just printed routine document then U052 error came up. Have not tried any fixes as yet as it has just happened.

art2know
Apprentice

We have a Canon MP610.  First we got a 5200 error all of a sudden then it popped up the U052 error and is completely bricked.  

Tried the fixes with no luck.  

Canon HELP!

knreed
Apprentice

I too have had this issue with my printer. It had gone a few years flawlessly and then the dreaded message pops up. I tried the "fix" a few times and it didn't work. I think it's crazy  to have to pay for a new printer since I liked my printer so much. I hope Canon PM's me so they can take their defective printer back, figure out what's wrong and send me a new one. If not, I may go away from Canon printers for good. 

btos
Apprentice

Our Canon Pixma MP610 is fairly new, approaching two years- when the U0502 Error appeared. This error renders all functionality useless on the Pixma's all-in-one features. Ridiculous. The scanner had been good. The scanner was rendered useless by the printhead error. There's no sense to that! I can still print with my antique Epson 3000 but now I cannot scan anything, due to the error block. I'm not impressed by that blockade. Two years isn't very long for a quality printer to last... The really bad part is that $50 was just spent for a new set of original Canon replacement ink cartriges! After the new cartriges were inserted, the printer turned into a brick, due to the U052 Error. All steps were followed to remove/ replace the print head...to no avail. I'm a member of the bad Canon movement. Bad investment! Just bought Nikon camera and lenses...don't trust the Canon brand anymore.

kmikuta
Contributor

I have the same problem. My MP620 gave me the error message B200 last week. I replaced the printhead after cleaning the orginal one didn't work. Now I am getting the U052 message with the new printhead telling me the type of printhead is incorrect. It's the correct part.

When I contacted Canon for help, they told me,"The B200 error indicates the failure of one or more internal components, and in this case it was something beyond the print head itself that was causing this error. Regrettably, due to the sensitive nature of the print head, it is not returnable." Fortunately I didn't buy the printhead from Canon, and I am able to return it to the store for a refund. Otherwise, thanks to Canon, I would be out the cost of the printhead and a new printer sine they told me I am eligible for the Canon Loyalty Program and can purchase a new printer at a "discounted" price.

I feel as though this is just a money maker for Canon. Tell customers their printer should be replaced with a loyalty program and make them pay a nice for a portion of a new one. Printers should last more than a couple years, especially when they aren't used much and are well maintained. 

Unfortuantely, this happened a couple years ago with an HP printer, and they offered the same "solution". These companies are selling poor quality products, and hoping to gain finacially as we need to purchase new ones. How is this good for consumers and the environment?

KJSpudguy
Apprentice

Cannon MG5220  Stopped printing out of the blue with error U052.  Tried resetting cartridges and print head.  Tried cleaning print head, unplugged printer etc. all to no avail.  Have not talked yet to customer service.  

Not excited at buying new printhead and/or cartridges and not resolving the issue.

KJSpudguy
Apprentice
Talked to help desk this AM. I had already gone through the resetting cartridges, Print head etc.

They said I could buy a refurbished MG5220 for $60 or a 5520? New for $90. Free shipping

Went to Staples today. The one they offered for $95 was on sale for $69. They had a 922 for 1/2 price at $99. Opted for the Epson 3640 at $129
Announcements