cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Thanks for the info, nice to have those features, mine is a Scotiabank visa, no fee, 1 & 2% back depending on items, glad to hear you didn't have to pay to have your car towed, but four times in one year, think I'd trade it in, just kidding.

Take care

God bless

Jim

@GinaB wrote:

The Visa card that I have bears a fee of $99 a year, and that includes an auto club membership and travel insurance as well as the extended warranty benefit, but I also get 1% back on all my purchases, so at the very least it pays for itself. (And I once had my car towed four times in the same year!)

Gina

MG 5450 Same old story.. i'm firing canon!

Great pun!

Fire away, it won't work, Canon defect, error message, u052daaaazzzzznotlistening...

@RDA wrote:

MG 5450 Same old story.. i'm firing canon!

Pipotron3000
Apprentice

In my situation, "recycling" industry is my main problem Smiley Wink

I can't stand printing industry still making money on toner/ink instead of making GOOD printers.

With my Konica Minolta 1600W (laser color), i seen ppl buying a second printer instead of buying a new drum or fuser.

Discounted, printer was 50 bucks instead of 100 bucks. And even at 100 bucks, it was the same price than a fuser or a drum alone. So you get drum, fuser and four 1/3 filled toners for the same (if not half) price than a single part.

When i think about all the technicals parts inside a printer, and market value being around zero (1600W alone (empty toners) second hand is around 20 bucks, and Canon is simply 0 bucks), i understand the term "world downfall".

So now i will just print few pages at work, and use professional/auto-printers services for all my pictures.
And so, i leave headaches to other ppl. As computer tech dealing with computers all day long, i have no time to loose on those troubles at home.

No more printer at home for me, being toner or ink.

I am in the UK and have contacted a which favourite consumer magazine as well as a well known dog programme watch. Would urge more to do the same here in the UK and contact similar bodies where you are.

Hi Mnaclerio, I am also in the UK and have been trying to get a satisfactory (or indeed any)answer from Canon for a couple of weeks now.  I finally got a response yesterday and have pasted it below.

Thank you for contacting the Canon helpdesk facility with regard to your MP560

I understand that your printer is not working due to a printhead fault error UO52. May I advise all our cartridges (including printhead) are classed as consumable items.

Unfortunately, it is difficult for us to comment on the reason as to why the print head may be failing. I would also add that as the printhead is classed as a consumable, this will periodically, need to be replaced. As per the user’s manual, we recommend that the ink tanks are not unnecessarily removed as it may cause ink clogging. The print head of a cartridge must never dry or clog. To prevent this, the print head will be capped when the cartridge is installed in the printer and in its home position.

However, if the cartridge is removed from the printer, the print head will be exposed to air. Whenever you remove a cartridge from the printer, we would recommend that you store it in the container, provided with the printer.

For further details, please refer to the user’s manual.

This information is clearly highlighted on all our sales literature. Also, in the terms and conditions of your warranty, it clearly states that consumables are not covered; this is listed under the section of “limitations

Should you require service on your printer or to purchase a new print head please find below our authorised repair agent who will advise you of the cost for service.

CRC Tasktron – 01483 776060

I hope this information is of use to you.

Unfortunately, the information was not of use to me.  Canon hiding behind a warranty exclusion for their most frequent fault.  I have now ordered an Epson printer and will be sending this additional information to the BBC consumer programme you mentioned to add to the information I have already sent them.  So come on UK Canon U052 sufferers - add your complaints to mine and Mnaclerio's!  Rise up and revolt!!

Great, the more we sign up to the dog the more notice we get. Also which try magazine. I am sure you know what I mean. This will prevent this post from getting deleted as cencorship is rife on this North Canon forum  

Any updates on this? My beloved MP560 has developed this error. Interestingly, another user with the same model has recently had this very same problem. I am thinking...................it's not a coincidence................

You're right. It's not a coincidence. It is planned and designed into the firmware of these products. They declare themselves dead after a set period of time or number of prints. Usually just beyond the waranty period so we have to dump it and buy another! Only a fool would buy another Canon printer after reading 36 pages of these faults.
Always hate to see corporate ripoffs by companies we used to trust.
Announcements