cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call to Arms for the dreaded U052 Wrong Printhead Error

macnicol
Enthusiast

This is a "call to arms" for all of you Canon customers who have had this problem and have had their printers disabled because of it.  Please respond with the model of your printer and if you were able to fix it, what you did to fix it. 

We need to put pressure on Canon to respond this product defect.  It appears to be bad firmware that does not allow the user to override the problem and to continue to use the printer even in a degraded mode.  From my investigations the problem is NOT a printhead issue - no way one can be printing fine and then have this error alert without having changed the printhead or ink cartridges!

Canon, PLEASE take this issue seriously and provide a solution across the affected models.  If nothing else there should be a trade-in allowance for those printers that have been affected by this product defect.

I have had many Canon printers because they have superior functional specifications. I want to be able to continue using Canon products but only if I can have confidence that this product defect will not destroy my investment.

If Canon is unresponsive our next step should be to aggressively publisize this product defect on social media and on major product vendor outlet sites as negatives reviews.

Forum Users, please reply with your affected model number(s) and with details of any succdessful fix procedure.

1,478 REPLIES 1,478

Yep, same thing just happened to my Canon MX892. Went through the same Canon-provided instructions and no response.

Luckily, I have a Squaretrade warranty on this beast...but what a waste of time, money, and a perfectly good scanner/copier/fax.

Really disappointed in you, Canon!

Stuffed1printer, thanks for the view of the canon printhead innards. It is rediculous that so many have to go to such extreme to try and resolve this U052 error nightmare

You can't resolve this error. It's like the Windows errror (from Dutch) Undetectable error detected. These are Lemming printers: every now and again they will kill themselves.

wibbit
Apprentice
Just happened a week ago on my MX712. Nothing seems to fix it.

Add another MP830 to the heaping dung pile of a perfectly decent machine that will no longer print due to this irrepairable error. I've had the same print head since I bought the machine, and all of a sudden out of no where this message pops up.Goodbye Canon, hello HP. I have no tolerance for junk like this. And to think I just dumped $60 into new ink cartridges!

Canon,  why have you removed posts from skicolorade and mcaxley and denying them access to the forum?

Canon,  why have you removed posts from skicolorado and mcaxley and denying them access to the forum?  Are you hiding something?

I’m reposting my earlier response to Justdoit’s question. I’ve removed the reference to the one aspect of this discussion I suspect triggers automatic deletion. The short answer to Justdoit’s question remains NO.

The only update is that more people continue to report being impacted by the issue. Canon continues to be silent, not even having the decency to comment on the futility of customer’s efforts to resolve the problem. Our nation’s landfills continue to fill with like-new Canon printers that other than the crippling U052 error, would be healthy and fully functioning.

In my case, my retailer issued me a refund for the failed MX892 printer. I believe they have the contractual ability to require Canon to “eat it.” (just desserts)

In the meanwhile, Canon’s replacement printer, the MX922, is the top seller on Amazon. If you read through the reviews, you have to feel for the lambs marching to the slaughter. If your problem has not been resolved, you need to continue to speak out and fight back. If Canon desires to continue to do business in our communities, you have to expect they will eventually act.

skicolorado, thank you for reposting. I think this forum is futile and a means of Canon thinking this will pacify all the Canon printer victims.

I think the series of posts served well to communicate the following two points.

1. A serious problem exists with a U052 error (and other codes) that prematurely renders a number of Canon printers useless (mine was a MX892). Based on the number and consistency of posts in various online forums, it appears this problem is pervasive, indicative of a general product defect.

2. If you encounter the problem and your printer is outside the one year warranty period, you’re hosed. It makes sense to first try a no-cost, wishful thinking solution (reseating, cleaning). It does not make any sense to buy a new print head (no guarantees, no refunds), when the cost to do so is about the same as a replacement printer. The only guaranteed solution is to throw the printer away and buy a new one.

Beyond that, I agree with the comment on the futility of further dialog in this forum. The good news is that other online forums have larger audiences, are better suited to discussing potential responses, and are not subjected to the editorial review of the supplier.

Announcements