cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken scanner software utility

FixMacs
Contributor

Mac. Cannot access the scanner for a MG6820 multifunction device.

Error message: You do not have permission to open the application “Canon IJScanner15f.app”.

I reinstalled the latest ICA Driver. I cannot find any such app named “Canon IJScanner15f.app”.

Running Mac OS 10.15.1 the latest OS version.

No problem printing. The MG6820 is connected to the home-office network using WiFi.

The Canon scanner utility and Mac Image Capture can see the MG6820 on the network.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

johnbeaston
Apprentice

Apparently this is a problem with Big Sur and not Canon. See this Apple Support article:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212756

This fixed the problem for me. Hopefully one of these Big Sur updates will fix it for good.

-John

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Use Finder and check the permissions on the folder where the IJ Scan Utility resides.  If its read only, try changing it to read / write.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you for that. I checked the folder and file permissions. All seems to be well. I found two app utilties in the Canon Utilities/IJ Scanner Folder. Neither is the mysterious Scanner 15f file or app.

Screen Shot 2021-08-05 at 10.14.27 PM.jpg

Didn't work. Disk First Aid fixed problem in my 2019 MacBook Pro. Couldn't fix on 2014 Mini which was scanning fine until OS 11.5.1 upgrade. Also works fine on 2011 MacBook Air.

I think you are correct. My software worked as expected until I installed Mac OS 11.5.1.

Same for me, but with an older MX320 printer/scanner on macOS Big Sur 11.5.2 . Still worked fine with macOS Catalina 10.15.

Here is an additional error message:

Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345).png

I installed 11.5.2 -- still broken.

I asked Canon Support DE <germany@cc.canon-europe.com> . Here is their response ( G00GLE translated 😞

Date: 18/08/2021
Processing number: 00538416

Dear Mr. [erikl6],

Thank you for contacting Canon Customer Service and inquiring about your PIXMA MX320 printer.
We regret to inform you that no drivers are available
for your PIXMA MX320 printer and the macOS 11.0 (Big Sur) operating system.

We would like to inform you a little more about our strategy for providing drivers for new operating systems.
When new products are introduced, we usually provide drivers
so that the product can be used with the most popular operating systems.
As soon as the introduction of a new operating system is announced,
we review our product range to determine for which products compatible drivers can be offered.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We hope that we have brought you a little closer to the background regarding the availability of drivers.
If you need further information, you can find it under the following link .
Please check with us to see that we cannot provide you with the driver you require
[and that we let you go empty-handed]* 😉 * additional my translation
and continue to place your trust in us.
If you have any questions, we will of course still be available to you and wish you a nice day.

Kind regards,

Panagiota Babanaraki
Canon Services & Support

_______________________________________________________________________________________

My 11-years-old MX320 printer still prints well on macOS 11.5.2 .

For (seldom) scanning I backDate into macOS 10.15 (Catalina). Takes just a minute to boot.

This is my second Canon printer to lose functionality in a year due to non updated drivers.  I will to move to Epson.  Sad!

Announcements