cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MP160 Borderless printing washes out image

baga
Apprentice

Hi,

I have a MP160 (Pixma Series) that works very well.

Today I've tried to make some bordeless printing and when I use this option — changing Paper Size from A4 to A4 (borderless), the colors of the images fades a lot, resulting on a very light printed image.

If I choose back the simple A4 (with borders), the images prints well again.

I found a way to resolve this, by changing Media Type from Plain Paper to Photo Paper Pro (Media Type under Quality & Media options) and changing Print Quality to High instead of Standard (this option is grayed out for Plain Paper when I set A4 bordeless). But this workaround makes the printer velocity goes down a lot, using more ink (I'm assuming that), even this printing a very little lighter imagem than the A4 Standard print quality.

Is there a way to solve that, printing borderless on standard quality?

I'm on Mac osX 10.8.5, printing from Preview app.

Thanks,

baga

15 REPLIES 15

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello baga.

Unfortunately, when a plain paper setting is used with the MP160, less ink will be used to perform the printout.  This causes a lighter printout.  This is to prevent overestimation or curling of the paper which may lead to paper jams or other hardware issues.  You would have to increase the quality or use a photo paper for a higher quality printout.

If additional assistance is needed, feel free to call us at 1-800-OKCANON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for your reply, Michael.

But why I'm able to print nice images (to my purpose) using plain paper on standard quality, with all the colors ok?

The washed out thing just happens when I choose borderless printing...

I just wanna print with the same quality I print on default settings, except I don't wanna borders.

(Just to know, I'm not printing photos, but a kind of fanzine, that's why I'm using plain paper.)

Thanks again!

MarkII
Rising Star

Hi baga,

Assuming all the settings are the same, there should not be a difference in the quality when going from bordered to borderless.  With borderless the image is expanded slightly, but it should not appear washed out.  Be sure to check your quality and media type settings when changing from bordered to borderless.

When printing on plain paper, you will notice slight variations in quality (even from sheet to sheet in the same ream of paper).  Since plain paper is not designed for vibrant color prints, I don't recommend it for printing images where quality is a concern.  For printing your fanzines you might want to try matte photo paper.  Any type of photo paper (or even high quality paper) will work in conjunction with the inks from your MP160 to produce consistent clear borderless images.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to Contact Us

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

baga is right. I've had a couple of different Canon printers, including the one mentioned, and have always had an issue with borderless printing. You may believe, as anyone who is using your product would, that with all settings the same there should be no difference in print quality between bordered and borderless but I can assure you there is. I'm sure baga gave up quickly on this thread since you wouldn't acknowledge the issue. This is apparently the best Canon can offer and is as good a reason as any to avaoid the product if borderless printing is a priority.

kaerfull, that's just what I did: changed to a HP printer and that's solved my problem.

bags, would you be so kind as to share which HP product you chose? So glad to know you’re getting good borderless prints. I am desperate for a solution. I have been using a Canon MG6120 for years to print greeting cards, some of them borderless. My last MG6120 just died and the machine is no longer made. I had planned to purchase a Pro 100, but this issue of not being able to print borderless has me stymied, The MG6120 did a beautiful job, but now I’m stuck. I have orders piling up and need to choose a replacement. I have an older HP Officejet Pro L7780 that someone gave me to use in my interim period. I don’t think the quality of it is good enough for my product. I need something better — maybe the same product you’ve chosen. Which one did you come up with? Are you still happy with it?  

Fascinating that Canon has refused to respond to this thread with an EXPLANATION! 

Hi MarkII, you say: "Assuming all the settings are the same, there should not be a difference in the quality when going from bordered to borderless." This is false according to other posters, and my own experience with the Pro 100. Can you or someone at Canon respond to this or actually verify your statement internally? I assure you this is a problem.

Absolutely the only difference is borderless printing (same paper/settings/everything) and,  as others say, the colors come out different.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
I can state that with my Pro-100 simply going to Borderless had no effect on printout quality. Not disputing what others have observed; just stating my experience.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements