cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Borderless printing is too light

barbasol
Contributor

This has bothered me for years (I think even through multiple Canon printers).

Everything prints fine until I choose paper size: "US Letter (borderless)" and then it is always very washed out. Switch back to normal "US Letter" and it's fine again. Photo vs plain paper seems to have no effect (and I'm not sure why it would unless borderless maybe requires special paper?)

Is this a known issue? Do you have to use a special program when printing (then why is it a system option)?

I thought it might be a Mac only problem, but searching with google I did find someone on Windows mentioning this same issue. But not finding much in general about it which is surprising. Maybe it only affects specific configurations?

Thanks.

Mac OS 10.10.1, Canon Pixma MP470

5 REPLIES 5

Ramona
Authority

Hi barbasol,

There is a Canon Easy-PhotoPrint EX program that comes with the printer that can be used to perform borderless printing that may produce better results. To print using the Easy-PhotoPrint EX application, please follow these steps:

1. Go to your GO menu and select APPLICATIONS.

2. From the APPLICATIONS folder, please double-click on the CANON UTILITIES folder and then select the Easy-PhotoPrint EX application.

3. Once you are in the Easy-PhotoPrint application, you will see a folder structure on the left-hand side where you can select a photo or image. Please navigate to the location of the photo/image you would like to print. When you do, all available images in that location should appear in the right pane of the window. Please note: If a screen appears with options to Photo-Print, Create an Album, Sticker Print, etc., please select the PHOTO-PRINT option to view the area with the folder structure.

4. Underneath each of the photos appearing in the right pane of the window, you will see an up and down arrow, as well as a "0". Please click the UP arrow once underneath the image you would like to select, then click the PAPER SELECTION tab.

5. Please select the PRINTER, PAPER SOURCE, PAPER SIZE, and MEDIA TYPE, then click the LAYOUT/PRINT tab at the top of the window.

6. Please select the desired layout from the left-hand pane of the window. When you do, a preview of what the image should look like when printed will appear in the right-hand pane of the window.

7. Once you have selected a layout, please click the PRINT button. The photo/image should print. 

If you do not have the Easy-PhotoPrint program installed on your computer, it can be downloaded from the Canon USA website. Please click here to go to the Drivers and Software page for the PIXMA MP470.  Once on the initial download page for your model, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" drop-down menu is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system.

2. Next, please click on the red arrow next to the "SOFTWARE" section and click the EASY-PHOTOPRINT file. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear. Please click on the checkbox below the DOWNLOAD button, then click the red DOWNLOAD button to begin the download. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks, but I get the exact same behavior. On the Layout/Print step, if I choose a Borderless option (e.g. "Borderless (x4)") then it prints out light and faded. If I choose a Bordered option (e.g. "Bordered (x4)") then it prints normally as it should.

😞

Running into this problem again. Seeing it mentioned here as well:
http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/My-Canon-PIXMA-MG2120-prints-TOO-LIG...

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Printer-Multifunction-Support/Borderless-printing-washes-out-image...

I really enjoy canon products, but I guess my next printer won't be one... 😞

Thank you so much for posting about this! I started having this issue after the last time that I changed ink cartridges (Or so I thought.). It has been driving me insane! I have wasted so much ink and photo paper trying to print, change paper type from the drop down menu, print head cleanings and deep cleanings. I never thought the issue would be due to selecting borderless... found the other thread you had commented on about this, changed from borderless and all is back to normal. So frustrating! It makes no sense that this is even an issue. Very disappointed, Canon.

thank you for this information. this also frustrated me, with all those faded/washout prints. I'm glad to have found the solution ;w;

Announcements