cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Borderless + duplex mode

Flowchart
Apprentice

How do I remove the restriction that prevents me from using borderless mode while duplex printing? There are also unnecessary and confusing restrictions that prevent me from using borderless with some paper types and the full list of paper sizes (including custom). I have some designs that require precise alignment between the front and back and the minor differences between the different feed is annoying. It would also simplify my workflow it I didn't have to unnecessarily manually flip the pages. The alignment is further complicated by the fact that the "unprintable area" margins are different for all four sides which makes no sense. I need to be able to set these all to zero or use borderless (no extention) mode with any paper type, size, and print quality. (Example: I can chose borderless on 'Plain' paper but then fast and high quality are missing, plus the custom paper size is canceled).

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Have no idea where to start....  we don't even know what model printer you own.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sorry about that, it's an MX922 (Windows 7, current firmware, version 2.65 driver)

Greetings,

I understand what you are saying, but your "designs" might be partially responsible for the problems you are encountering.  The application they were created in or that you might be using to print from may also be a contributung factor.  My Image Garden isn't what I'd call robust.  

Duplex printing is not possible on some media types period.  In some cases, manual feed for duplex might be required or single sided may be the only option.

This is not a Canon specific limitation, and may also be influenced by a combination of factors.  It sounds like you have some pretty specific requirements. 

What I would do, contact Canon and ask them for assistance.  Be prepared to provide detailed information about your design files and the application they were created in.  Also the media types you are printing on.

Support

1-800-OK-CANON 1-800-652-2666

I know you were hoping for a "quick" solution, this is why I recommend contacting Canon.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm not using My Image Garden on some online thing. All of this have been in Photoshop and LibreOffice or printing from Foxit PDF reader but it applies to any software. It's the Canon printer driver that prevents me from using some of these combination of settings. The actual application I had was making some tri-fold brochures and the different sides had edges or background blocks that needed to line up with the fold lines. Not to difficult once things are carefully measured, but a real annoyance when registration is inconsistent and the built in margins are all different. It took quite a lot of frustrating trial and error trying to align things before I found out that it silently scales everything down if there is even a single pixel inside of these fake "unprintable areas".

My real irritation is that the only time it would not be possible is a length limitation or paper thickness. That's something for the manual and not blanket disabling duplex mode.

You're right that this doesn't seem to be limited to Canon as I have since looked into Brother and Epson and both seem to have similar arbitrary restrictions.

Announcements