cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banding issue with brand new MG7550 in Win 8.1

Astravagrant
Apprentice

Hi there,

I'm running some test prints on a new Pixma MG7550, but I'm getting a consistent vertical banding on landscape photo prints (i.e. horizontal bands on portrait prints).  It's really noticable on gradients, but is there regardless of colour.  It looks like a slightly darker line every 8mm or so. 

Here are the details:

• Pixma MG7550 (Firmware 2.020)
  • Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit (Auto update enabled and up to date)
  • Printer installed on network via ethernet (no other connection)
  • Canon inkjet printer driver 2.80
  • Stock (included) cartridges installed
  • Printing from Windows photo viewer
  • A4 HP glossy photo paper (landscape mode)

For what it's worth, I was very careful in the setup process and followed all the instructions to the letter.  

The print tests look fine, no missing content or obvious errors.  The printed image looks just like the reference one.

I've run nozzle checks, head alignments and the clean utility.  

I haven't run a deep clean as I understand that this is only necessary when you are sure it is a cleaning problem and I really don't know.  

I've updated the printer firmware, but the problem is exactly the same, before and after.

I suspect it may be a Windows 8.1 issue, but only because the Canon site refers to a similar-sounding problem in Windows Vista (where it suggests upgrading to Service Pack 2).  

If anyone can offer any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi JR,

Thanks for replying.  I didn't actually try any other paper, but I did switch the 'prevent paper adhesion' option (or something like that - meant to avoid stickiness), as I wondered if the head was sticking, causing a double layer of ink.  

I have actually resolved this issue (for me, at least) by using photoshop as my print application.  Printing the same photo from photoshop not only makes the picture look 10x better but completely eliminates the banding I was seeing.  I'm guesing this comes down to the XPS print driver or something (if I am correct in thinking that PS uses the XPS driver by default).

Since this only seems to affect photos, I guess this is a solution for me.

Thanks for your time.

🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Does it happen if you try and print on plain paper?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Hi JR,

Thanks for replying.  I didn't actually try any other paper, but I did switch the 'prevent paper adhesion' option (or something like that - meant to avoid stickiness), as I wondered if the head was sticking, causing a double layer of ink.  

I have actually resolved this issue (for me, at least) by using photoshop as my print application.  Printing the same photo from photoshop not only makes the picture look 10x better but completely eliminates the banding I was seeing.  I'm guesing this comes down to the XPS print driver or something (if I am correct in thinking that PS uses the XPS driver by default).

Since this only seems to affect photos, I guess this is a solution for me.

Thanks for your time.

🙂

Glad it worked out.

I have a Pixma Pro-100 with XPS driver, so my experience is based on that, but I believe they all work the same. As far as the XPS driver is concerned, when you install the XPS driver the computer sees two printers - an MG7550 and an MG7550XPS. If you don't make the XPS printer your default printer in Windows, or specifically choose the XPS printer from the Print menu of your application, then the XPS driver isn't being used.

There is also a lot of Internet discussion over whether or not Windows has a 16-bit printing process.

I have experimented with both. 1. I have not seen a photo printing quality difference visually with XPS over non-XPS. 2. Using the XPS driver hasn't created any negatives that I have seen.  So, I use the XPS version just in case there are some subtle benefits I don't see.

But, if you want XPS then you need to be sure to select it.

The print head sticking option moves the head further from the paper; usually selected for heavier weight paper. I don't know anything about the HP paper you are using, and don't know if there a re negatives with selecting it for lighter weight paper, but since you made two changes I would suggest you uncheck that option and print from PS just to see if there is a difference.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Good advice, JR, thanks!

Especially interesting about the XPS, I didn't know that and think I will switch the XPS by default.  So it seems that Photoshop has a better print function than windows (at no point does it seem to 'pass the buck' to windows, unlike other apps), so perhaps that is it.

Cheers for the explanation about head height, too.  I'll leave it off for now, I'm really pleased with the results from this last batch.  Such an impressive printer!

Thanks, happy shooting! 🙂

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements