cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MX870 Absorbent Pads issue

JWeir
Apprentice

I have a Pixma MX 870 all-in-one printer.  I used a YouTube video to learn how to clean the absorbent pads, followed the steps, including how to reset the counter.  After many tries, I still get a message that the absorbent pads are almost full, with a question oif whether I wish to continue printing. After clicking OK to get to printing, I get an error 5100 message and no printing.

Besides the two foam pads, is there another area that needs cleaning that is part of the absorbent pad cleaninbg proces?.  If not, then how do I reset my computers to print. We have a PC and a MAC,  The Mac is the primary used of the printer.

Thanks for any help. Until this issue, the printer has been one of the best.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi JWeir,

You could contact a printer repair facility in your area to see if they have the ability to change the waste ink absorber and reset the counter. If you are able to find a repair facility that can perform the reset, I recommend getting a quote first since repairs can sometimes cost more then a new printer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi JWeir,

The type of service needed for this printer can only be performed by a Canon Authorized Service Facility (ASF). Please be advised that the MX870 was retired in 2016 and service is no longer available.

You do qualify for the Canon Upgrade Program.

This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service or are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This program allows you the opportunity to purchase a replacement product discounted from the list price. Free ground shipping is included with your purchase.

If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8 AM to midnight EST. Let them know you have been working with technical support and that the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

ludicrous that canon built in a failure mechanism to destroy the machine. About time to think of the environmental impact of such a ridiculour ploy to get a few more bucks. Offering 10% off another machine with the same issue is not my idea of a good deal.

JWeir
Apprentice
I know a new purchase is an option. My wife would like to keep the model she has. Is there a way to reset the mx870?

ArthurJ
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi JWeir,

You could contact a printer repair facility in your area to see if they have the ability to change the waste ink absorber and reset the counter. If you are able to find a repair facility that can perform the reset, I recommend getting a quote first since repairs can sometimes cost more then a new printer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Announcements