cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tutorial for Powershot SX50HS

LindaBirder
Enthusiast

I need a tutorial or a step by step instruction that I can follow.  I have downloaded the complete manual and thoroughly read and studied it.  My last Canon was the AE1program purchased in 1984 and used for 20 years, always on the automatic setting.  Since 2004, I have used a Kodak automatic camera.  I am overwhelmed by the settings on this wonderful new camera I just received as a gift 5 weeks ago.  I found one tutorial for setting C1 & C2 to be used respectively for birds in the distance and macro shots.  This is exactly what I need but not exactly the settings as described in the tutorial.  Also, the videographer does not explain how to set the settings but assumes the viewer already knows that.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ssobel
Contributor

LindaBirder if you are still interested here is a link to a new post on you tube.  It is from a photographer named Marius and each week he is adding another episode.  He uses the SX50 as his teaching camera.  I just found it last week and so far it has answered numerous questions.  He will be posting a new "episode" each week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzokasX1ILA

View solution in original post

I was also looking for tutorials.  I found one that has been a big help, it is for the SX40, but is very similar.  I have learned a lot watching her u tube videos, Fatdragon100's Canon Powershot SX40.  Hope that is of some help.  I am going to check the other ones that have been suggested.  Learning all the ins and outs takes a little work.  

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108

I realize that you said you're 65 and not eager to learn new things, but if you're willing to explore the features on your camera more and also willing to practice with it, you'll find that using the camera in Auto mode only has many drawbacks.  It's just my opinion, but I think you'd be well served to begin learning how to use this or any other camera in Manual mode, which could well open new vistas for you.

When you consider the number of hours of working it takes to earn the money to buy a decent camera it seems like spending a bit of time learning & experimenting makes those work hours pay off much better. The rules of photography apply across the board, so once you understand the basics they can be applied to any camera & you'll get much more predictable results. With film there was a continous cost to experiment with settings but you can shoot thousands of images now, see the results right away, and then delete the bad ones without spending any more money than you already have. I'm older than you and participate in forums like this to keep learning, both by being forced to think of how I'd handle a tricky situation & from learning how others do things.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I hear you both & I don't disagree with what you are saying.  If there was a class anywhere near me, I would take it. .  I am generally a good student.   My frustration is that there seems to be such a huge gap between what I can understand from the manual (on PDF only unless I print 283 pages) and my level of skill & knowledge.  Canon promotes its YouTube channel but there is very little on there.  If you know of any other resources for learning, I am open to that.

I am very grateful for all of the help I have received from you.

Did you read this link by Ed (Vision Light) that I posted at the top of this thread?

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50541326

It is less than two pages and he tells you how to get sharp photos with the SX50.

It is not a review!!

Murry

Yes.  I read everything you sent me including this link when it was received.  Thank you for sending it again.  I supppose I was done reading by the time I got to it.  I have not found Evaluative Metering Mode in the manual or on the camera.

Also, cicipopo told me I should learn Exposure Compensation.  I do not know where to look for that either.  

I am wondering if I missed any sort of interactive website or manual for looking these things up.  

Linda,

Then you may want to spend some time on Youtube.  There are too many educational/instructional videos on there to count.  Just type in the search window what you want to learn more about and be amazed at what comes up.  Take your time, watch the videos, practice, and keep asking questions.  Your learning curve will increase, without a doubt.

Linda,

You can download a PDF copy of the SX50's Camera Users Guide at this link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_sx50_hs#BrochuresA...

It is the first download item on the page and it takes a little time to download but once you get it on your computer the PDF document is searchable by page and/or word which is very convenient.  Also towards the back are some great tables that show what features can be used or not used with other features--ie the macro selection is not available when shooting in AUTO, etc.  Page 116 talks about changing metering modes including evaluative metering.  Page 115 talks about inage brightness (exposure compensation)

Murry

Ahhh!  This is a breakthrough!  I had downloaded the manual but it is Adobe with no ability to search.  Thank you!

I've downloaded it too. Lots of information (based on a quick scan) on how to avoid learning what it takes to learning proper photography. Not that that's a bad thing because the whole idea is sales to those looking for pro results without having to make any effort other than paying.

One other point I would like to make & forgot so far that will help with your birds in flight specifically  is to use the VIEWFINDER, not the LCD to compose & track them. This will both increase your keeper rate from a camera shake point of view & from getting it framed much faster in bright light.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you.  I do almost always use the viewfinder for birds.  That is one of the noticable drawbacks to this camera - no switch to quickly change from the screen & the viewfinder.  And I actually can't remember ever taking a picture of a bird in flight.  

Announcements