cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tutorial for Powershot SX50HS

LindaBirder
Enthusiast

I need a tutorial or a step by step instruction that I can follow.  I have downloaded the complete manual and thoroughly read and studied it.  My last Canon was the AE1program purchased in 1984 and used for 20 years, always on the automatic setting.  Since 2004, I have used a Kodak automatic camera.  I am overwhelmed by the settings on this wonderful new camera I just received as a gift 5 weeks ago.  I found one tutorial for setting C1 & C2 to be used respectively for birds in the distance and macro shots.  This is exactly what I need but not exactly the settings as described in the tutorial.  Also, the videographer does not explain how to set the settings but assumes the viewer already knows that.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ssobel
Contributor

LindaBirder if you are still interested here is a link to a new post on you tube.  It is from a photographer named Marius and each week he is adding another episode.  He uses the SX50 as his teaching camera.  I just found it last week and so far it has answered numerous questions.  He will be posting a new "episode" each week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzokasX1ILA

View solution in original post

I was also looking for tutorials.  I found one that has been a big help, it is for the SX40, but is very similar.  I have learned a lot watching her u tube videos, Fatdragon100's Canon Powershot SX40.  Hope that is of some help.  I am going to check the other ones that have been suggested.  Learning all the ins and outs takes a little work.  

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108

Hey John,

"you're"

"I'm"

Smiley Happy

ps. 

See the Flikr group HS50 SX

not sure what that means veteran lol Where's that flkr group?

Ah, a missing letter - flickr.

https://www.flickr.com

Register and look in groups.

Ok got it veteran and registered as john_to_john

Thanks,

Linda you should join also!

Not sure why it's necessary to correct someone's English grammar in the middle of an otherwise interesting thread about what I have found to be a very versatile camera.

Have you set the AF Frame to Tracking? Point the camera so that the subjest is in the square frame then press the button that is beside the bin symbol. P mode and RAW is best. Using Digital Photo Professional or Lightbox will give better results than the camers's internal processing. (You check that that is true by setting it to take RAW and JPG.)

In P mode you can also set single/multiple shots and bracketing for either exposure or focus.

I use Photoshop CS3 and shoot RAW anyway. . Linux has a couple of good RAW readers, but I have to use Adobe's DNG converter for RAW. Linux also doesn't have a way to calibrate the monitor, yet. I've tried DPP and don't like it. It doesn't have the controls I want. I haven't seen any improvement since the version I got in 2003.  It doesn't print the way I like, either. I let Adobe control the colors. I don't bracket, I chimp then adjust adjust by changing to Av, Tv or manual mode.
The tracking might be interesting. The 20D doesn't track so it doesn't occur to me to use it. I learned on a totally manual film SLR and used existing light.

Some can't carry a tripod and other goodies on a hike. We have to make do.

True, on a hike you can't be too loaded. Make do is ok. Gorillapod? Limited to bright(ish) light fast shutter speed will do the trick.

DPP is free so cannot be as good as Photoshop, Lightroom etc. It is good enough to show the improvement of converting RAW to jpg externally rather than using the camera's setting. Began with Box Brownie about 60 years ago. Crikey! am I that old? Smiley Sad

Think our family had a box brownie. I remember pushing Tri-Ex Pan and developing it myself using an old Asahi Pentax. I've always shot RAW with the DSLR. Save files as CR2 and PSD then convert to JPG from PSD. . JPG too lossy for my liking. The DLSR only uses JPG for preview if you shoot RAW. I really like Adobe RAW. I delete all the JPG files and convert to RAW to DNG for the SX50. The 20D RAW is included in CS3. I don't like the camera making my decisions if I feel like experimenting. Have a Manfrotto Monopod. I can use my flash units on the SX50. I have the real small one. I know DPP is free, but so is GIMP. GIMP is open source native to Linux, but is available for Windows and Mac.

Northernclaw & Veteran,

Sorry, this is off topic as far as I am concerned.  My original goal is still my goal - just to learn to use the various modes & functions of this camera.  Thank you anyway.

Announcements