cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tutorial for Powershot SX50HS

LindaBirder
Enthusiast

I need a tutorial or a step by step instruction that I can follow.  I have downloaded the complete manual and thoroughly read and studied it.  My last Canon was the AE1program purchased in 1984 and used for 20 years, always on the automatic setting.  Since 2004, I have used a Kodak automatic camera.  I am overwhelmed by the settings on this wonderful new camera I just received as a gift 5 weeks ago.  I found one tutorial for setting C1 & C2 to be used respectively for birds in the distance and macro shots.  This is exactly what I need but not exactly the settings as described in the tutorial.  Also, the videographer does not explain how to set the settings but assumes the viewer already knows that.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ssobel
Contributor

LindaBirder if you are still interested here is a link to a new post on you tube.  It is from a photographer named Marius and each week he is adding another episode.  He uses the SX50 as his teaching camera.  I just found it last week and so far it has answered numerous questions.  He will be posting a new "episode" each week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzokasX1ILA

View solution in original post

I was also looking for tutorials.  I found one that has been a big help, it is for the SX40, but is very similar.  I have learned a lot watching her u tube videos, Fatdragon100's Canon Powershot SX40.  Hope that is of some help.  I am going to check the other ones that have been suggested.  Learning all the ins and outs takes a little work.  

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108

Many thanks, Linda...again. If I do come across anything,,,I'll post it here.
By the way, I did also purchase a "Cheat Sheet" on the SX50 - see http://www.photocheatsheets.com/cs.aspx?pr=171. It is serving me as a quick reference when I find myself losing my way through the camera. It certainly helps make the 282 page manual appear more manageable!

Thank you Joe for the Cheat Sheet link.  I ordered one as well as the magnifier.  It looks like it might be quite helpful mostly because it can be referenced easily when out practicing and the questions are fresh on my mind.  

Got one too...and my old 68 yr old eyes have no troublr reading it...great product far as I'm concerened!

Linda,

I shoot with the SX50 through my windows all the time and they are double pane so give it a try for sure!  I agree that you need to get close to the window as possible and probably turn off the lights in your kitchen even in day time so you don't get additional reflections from them.  If you don't want the ISO to go to 800 you can set your MAX ISO in the shooting menu to 400, 200 or anything you want plus I recomment to also set the next item Rate of ISO change to the slowest of the three options see page 118 for these two settings.  Another item that might help you until you are completely comfortable with most of the SX50 setting is to set Hints and Tips ON in the Setup menu.see page 199.  But what you are doing -- using the camera -- is the best way to learn what works and what doesn't.  And always have FUN!!

Murry

I'm in total agreement with Murry, and that is, Linda, the best way to learn what works and what doesn't is to experiment and have fun doing it.  To that end, you got my curiosity up and I experimented myself this morning with my camera taking a few shots through windows in full Auto mode.  I'll add the specific details of each shot below with each picture, but the overview of the pics is they were all shot in full Auto on exposure, Auto focus for focusing, and the first three were with the sun coming from behind me over the house and the last two I was shooting slightly into the sun and shooting at a bad, sharp angle to the window.  Anyway, here are the pics and the details:

First shot taken in the kitchen and stepped back from the camera, with the fake flowers on the fence substituting for a bird.  Shot was taken at F4, 1/250, and ISO 80:

IMG_0657.JPG

Second photo is closer to the window with no zoom.  Exposure is F5, 1/250, and ISO 80:

IMG_0658.JPG

Third shot is standing same distance to the window, but more perpendicular to it, plus I used the zoom to get closer.  Exposure was F5, 1/160, and ISO 80:

IMG_0659.JPG

Fourth picture was taken through a different window, slightly forward-facing lighting.  Also, please excuse the background...I'm doing some landscaping and have a tarp up.  Anyway, this photo was taken at a sharp angle and two feet from the window with the hummingbird feeder as the target.  Exposure was 5.6, 1/50, and ISO 800:

IMG_0662.JPG

Last picture was standing up against the window and zooming at the feeder and bird.  Exposure was F5, 1/50, and ISO 800.  Some impressions of all these pics to follow in the next reply:

IMG_0661.JPG

Some impressions for you, Linda, from the shots I took above and what I learned.

First thing is I was amazed at how well Auto focus handled shooting through the window, but I still don't recommend it.  If I were you and intent on shooting through a window I'd set up with a tripod if at all possible, and I'd pre-focus on your target area with manual focus so that your birds will have the best chance to be in focus.  Another thing is like with any kind of photography, try to get the best lighting conditions if at all possible through your window, so try to have the sun "at your back" as it were and not coming straight down, on the sides, or in front of you. 

I don't know what your setup is at home or just how intent you are at photographing these birds, but I'd say if you're intent then a summary would be to try and use a tripod, use manual focus and focus ahead of time, use a remote shutter release if you have one, shoot perpendicular to the window, get as close to the window as possible, and be aware of your lighting conditions.  Hope some of the above helps you out.

Happy to help if you still need it. Maybe you are all sorted now?

Well, I still have a lot to learn but I think I am at the point where I know enough about the Menu & Functions that I mostly just need to continue to practice.  I am running into more people all the time who are carrying the same camera.  Most of them seem to feel as I do that it has a lot going for it but also has it's frustrations.  A man I met today experssed frustration with not being able to get a well focused close up of a wildflower using auto focus.  I have also had this experience many times.  By taking multiple shots, eventully there will be a good one.  Care to comment?  Thanks for jumping in.

I think that autofocus gets confused with some closeups. If the values (contrast) in the flower are very similar, it has no clue as to where to focus. My DSLR (20D) does the same at times, but since I leave it in manual exposure, it's easy enough to switch the lens into manual. The sx50 has enough pixels to do a decent crop, so I focus as close as I can, then crop it in Photoshop. You can also try closeup adapters. I used them on the SX30. The 50 has a better macro mode. I've found that switching to macro, leaving the lens alone by not extending and moving the camera close to flower does better. I've been out taking pics of a flowering Nanking Cherry and experimenting.

No need for an adaptor as it will focus to 0!

If you have the AF Frame set to Flexizone then select the Macro mode, not needed if set to Tracking.

Tripod for close work.

Depth of field is limited with this lens.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements