cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tutorial for Powershot SX50HS

LindaBirder
Enthusiast

I need a tutorial or a step by step instruction that I can follow.  I have downloaded the complete manual and thoroughly read and studied it.  My last Canon was the AE1program purchased in 1984 and used for 20 years, always on the automatic setting.  Since 2004, I have used a Kodak automatic camera.  I am overwhelmed by the settings on this wonderful new camera I just received as a gift 5 weeks ago.  I found one tutorial for setting C1 & C2 to be used respectively for birds in the distance and macro shots.  This is exactly what I need but not exactly the settings as described in the tutorial.  Also, the videographer does not explain how to set the settings but assumes the viewer already knows that.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ssobel
Contributor

LindaBirder if you are still interested here is a link to a new post on you tube.  It is from a photographer named Marius and each week he is adding another episode.  He uses the SX50 as his teaching camera.  I just found it last week and so far it has answered numerous questions.  He will be posting a new "episode" each week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzokasX1ILA

View solution in original post

I was also looking for tutorials.  I found one that has been a big help, it is for the SX40, but is very similar.  I have learned a lot watching her u tube videos, Fatdragon100's Canon Powershot SX40.  Hope that is of some help.  I am going to check the other ones that have been suggested.  Learning all the ins and outs takes a little work.  

View solution in original post

108 REPLIES 108

Hi Linda,

To switch between the viewfinder and the LCD, just press the DISP button a couple of times.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Wow!  That is a very helpful tip!  I watched multiple YouTube reviews that made that complaint as a huge oversight by Canon - not having that capability.  Thank you.

Now that I have you, can you direct me to any good YouTube tutorials on setting and using the various modes & settings on this camera?  

Hello LindaBirder,

Currently, we don't have a Canon North America tutorial that addresses setting up and using all of the features for your Canon PowerShot SX50HS.  However, we do have several camera "How To" tutorials uploaded to YouTube that you may find helpful.

Check out our "How to use your Canon Camera" YouTube playlist here:

http://bit.ly/YoutubeCanonTutorials

And be sure to check our Youtube Channel Homepage for all the latest video uploads offered by Canon USA!

https://www.youtube.com/user/CanonNorthAmerica

Hope this helps, and thanks for asking!

Naomi,

Out of all of that, can you find me just one tutorial specifically on using the wonderful features of this amazing camera?  I have searched through all of these before and I cannot find one.  In the mean time, I am making some tiny baby steps by studying the manual which I ultimately printed out on paper.  

Thank you for stepping in.

LInda,

Try this Youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eviy0h2Mut4

Also, don't hesitate to use Youtube's search feature to locate other videos that address very specific features of the camera.

Thank you for that suggestion.  I have previously watched that one a couple of times & got a little out of it.  I watched it again to make sure I had not missed anything.  I had not.  The following link is comes closest to what I am looking for but is still not sufficient.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh3567vQQVY

I wonder if I need to start a new thread and reword my request.  This initial request was my first ever on this forum.

Linda

I wouldn't start a new thread, I'd keep all this tutorial info together in one thread.  Anyway, perhaps I should custom produce a video for you...Grin...if that would help.  

Now there is a great idea! 

Actually, I feel like I have made quite a bit of progress with my practicing and reading.  I do not feel overwhelmed any longer.  I have played with changing the IOS enough to do that pretty quickly.  I am figuring out how to navigate the Menu & functions.  I just still know which functions work best together and in which modes.

Here is a specific question:  My kitchen is my bird blind.  I take pictures through my kitchen window looking out into my sunlit garden where the birds are usually perched and relatively still.  When I put it on Auto, the ISO jumps to 800.  If I use other modes and set the ISO myself, it also needs to go to 800 or the bird comes out dark even though it is sitting in bright sunlight.  Or sometimes, the bird is in the shade under the eave of the patio and it still needs to be at 800.  Is there some other way to do this?  If I were to step out into the sun, the birds would fly away.   If it helps, these birds are not more than 20' away from where I am standing in my kitchen.

Thank you for your help so far.  

Try using PROGRAM instead of AUTO. What settings does it choose then?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements