cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to photograph a sunset through tree branches, but camera won't focus properly

RDG123
Apprentice
I have an SX50HS, am trying to take a zoom shot of the sunset through tree branches, but the camera will only focus on the branches...trying to get the sun in focus
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ScottyP
Authority
I agree with the manual focus on infinity. I think you will have little problem getting enough light into the camera for a fast shutter if you are shooting and metering the sun!

Something will have to be improperly exposed though, since the sun is so bright, and the shadowed side of the tree is not. If you meter for the sun to get the nice orange, the tree will be a dark silhouette. Set the exposure for the sky just a little left or right of the sun instead of the sun itself for best results. I am not used to the Powershot cameras, so f/5 might work, but on a DSLR you would probably want a narrower aperture, like f/8 or f/11 or even higher.

That is probably the way to go rather than metering for the tree and having the sky blown completely out., but you could try both ways for fun.

Good luck!
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

smack53
Mentor

Normally, I use the Manual mode of the camera. What I usually do is to put the camera in manual focus mode and set to infinity. You might also try setting the metering to spot meter. Make sure you are using a high enough shutter speed to avoid camera shake, and use an aperature of around f5. Too wide of an aperture (f2.0) will also blur the background, so keep the aperture to a higher number to keep everything focused. (smaller aperture).

ScottyP
Authority
I agree with the manual focus on infinity. I think you will have little problem getting enough light into the camera for a fast shutter if you are shooting and metering the sun!

Something will have to be improperly exposed though, since the sun is so bright, and the shadowed side of the tree is not. If you meter for the sun to get the nice orange, the tree will be a dark silhouette. Set the exposure for the sky just a little left or right of the sun instead of the sun itself for best results. I am not used to the Powershot cameras, so f/5 might work, but on a DSLR you would probably want a narrower aperture, like f/8 or f/11 or even higher.

That is probably the way to go rather than metering for the tree and having the sky blown completely out., but you could try both ways for fun.

Good luck!
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Vetteran
Enthusiast

P mode, set to focus tracking, aim the camera so that the little square frames the sun, press the button beside the bin sign.

That will lock the focus on the Sun. Bracketing for exposures might be useful. RAW, natch. (Or RAW and JPG for easy reviewing on a pc.)

Announcements