cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sx50hs histogram

jesteer
Contributor

re the histogram display when holding down "half way" ...... is there a setting so that the histogram is only for the portion within the "small box" when set to "point" within the small box ??

i'm looking for displaying the histogram prior to shooting that is relevant to only the limited / subject area and not the whole screen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm not familiar with your camera, but see if you can use exposure compensation with yours. Then you can manually overdrive the exposure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

hsbn
Whiz

Histogram will only display for the whole image. If you want to get the EV for a tiny area, you can use spot metering. I don't know if you camera has that option. But spot metering only measure the ev for a tiny portion of the scene and not the whole thing like Evaluative metering.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My camera is a sx50hs and the user manual shows how to set “spot AE” point frame to the AF frame

Also it states that is not available  when the AF frame is set to “face detection” or “tracking AF” … I have it set to “flexizone”

Sooo .. I believe that I have it set to “ ..metering restricted to within the “spot AE point frame”

However, when I view the histogram with the above setting, it does NOT change when I change to “face detection”

Shouldn’t I see the change?

thanks

I don't think you'd see a real difference unless the scene had very different lighting outside the area you specifically meter from.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

thanks for the advice .. of experience ... i am trying to apply it to a dark bird  with lots of bright areas around it and zoom in enough such that the small box is virtually filled by the bird.... i'm finding birds don't tend to stick in one place very long though ...

thanks again

I'm not familiar with your camera, but see if you can use exposure compensation with yours. Then you can manually overdrive the exposure.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements