sx160 shows lens error, shuts off How do I repair? only 1yr. old

BONE
Apprentice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Vetteran
Enthusiast

The short answer is that you don't! 

Try the advice here

Contact Canon here. Navigate through Support to Service and Repair.

They'll ask for your item number, you may get free help. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Vetteran
Enthusiast

The short answer is that you don't! 

Try the advice here

Contact Canon here. Navigate through Support to Service and Repair.

They'll ask for your item number, you may get free help. 

I had the same problem my SX160, now out of warranty and never dropped or abused. The lens locked up and "lens error" came on the screen. I tried all the fixes but nothing worked. No one mentioned the recording (movie) button, so as a last resort I turned on the camera and quickly pushed it. Bingo, the screen came alive and the lens started working normally again. This seems to be a common problem with this camera but if it happens to you try this fix and let me know if it works. Thanks. ellbarb4255

John_
Authority

Yes lens problems are the most difficult to repair first contact Canon and weigh the cost of repairs over the value of the camera. To do repair it properly yourself is or could be difficult. Once the lens is replaced, or parts are replaced it requires thousands of dollars in software and special image tools to get the lens back into calibration.  Having said that I am an adenturous type myself, I regret it sometimes, so I would search out a service manual and at least take it apart and look for something simple that may be wrong. Of course it is a risk and depends on your skill level. New ones are going for about $120 on auction sites right now. [MOD NOTE: Link Removed per FORUM GUIDELINES]

Announcements