cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sx 150 will not power on

monz
Contributor

My camera will not turn on with a 32 gb card inserted.  It works fine with all other sizes.

I'm thinking reformatting may help;  Any suggestions?

10 REPLIES 10

John_
Authority

I think 16GB is the max capacity for your camera or you have a bad card...try formatting it

I can't format it since it won't come on and I don't have any other reader.

According to the manual, there are no restrictions on the card capacity for the SX150 IS. I have that camera too, and the only time I ran into an issue was when I tried using an Eye-Fi card. Seems rather strange that it only happens with the 32GB card. The camera should power up, even without a memory card in it. It could very well be that the memory card is bad, or that the battery door isn't closing properly with the 32GB card installed. Is this a different brand than the other cards?

Steve M.

No, It's a SanDisk.

@smack53 wrote:

According to the manual, there are no restrictions on the card capacity for the SX150 IS. I have that camera too, and the only time I ran into an issue was when I tried using an Eye-Fi card. Seems rather strange that it only happens with the 32GB card. The camera should power up, even without a memory card in it. It could very well be that the memory card is bad, or that the battery door isn't closing properly with the 32GB card installed. Is this a different brand than the other cards?

Steve M.

@smack53 wrote:

Steve M.

No, It's a SanDisk

Just to be certain, the memory card you are having trouble with is one of the following types:

SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card, Eye-Fi.

I have to assume you are not using a microSD card/adapter in the camera. If you are, make sure the microSD card is fully inserted into the adapter, and that the adapter is the proper one for the memory card type (microSD, microSDHC, etc.)

If this is a new memory card, try exchanging it for another one to make sure the card was not the problem. Quite honestly, none of these should prevent the camera from starting unless there is a short circuit in the card. It may be time to contact Canon if all else fails.

Steve M.

It's a SDHC memory card.  I am thinking you may be correct about the short circuit.  It makes sense on why it won't power on.

The card is new but I bought it before Christmas when it was on sale and have thrown the packaging and sales slip away.

Thank you for your help.

Just one last update, I tried a 32GB card in my SX150 IS and there were no issues at all, so I would suspect the card you bought is bad.

Steve M.

Thank you for trying that.

Have you tried doing a "reset to deaults" through the setting menu ? It wont hurt and is worth a shot'

Announcements