cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

Hi amisella
Glad you got a reprieve for your camera. Sadly it will very likely relapse in a few weeks. When it does you will need to order the repair part and make a permanent fix. The repair does not require any knowledge or experience with electronics. The key is taking your time, keeping track of which screw goes in which hole, and a gentle touch with incredibly small and delicate parts. If you can do brain surgery you will have no trouble with this -- and vice versa. Spend the $18. to order the part now, and start reading the posts on various contributor's step-by-step experiences. By the time the Detoxit fix has run its course you will be ready!

Thank you for the follow-up information and the consideration to let me know. The idea of installing a replacement part seems less daunting after this first repair. I wiil be prepared. Smiley Happy

$160 ? Canon was selling refurbished S100's a few weeks ago for $139 !

The failure of the release button occurs in all modes. The focus mechanism is working. The release button failes in all lighting conditions. The problem used to be intermittent. Then it stopped completely. After not using the camera for several months it started to work again without interuption. For a good while now the release button is not working under all conditions and settings. 

You can fix it yourself in about an hour, for under $20. Read earlier posts, starting with #400.

I have the exact same problem with my s100. Has it be determined yet that this issue is sytemic?

Thanks!

Turning off Blink Detection solved my S100 shutter problem

Yes turn it back on and see if it was a coincedence or a fix

So far a coincidence.  I turned the blink detection on and the camera shutter still working.  I will keep testing it for a few days.  

Keep your fingers crossed! I bought a used  working S100 for 3 reasons one was I got a Canon waterproof housing at a real cheap price for water and underwater shots, the price for the camera was also cheap and lastly there is a wealth of information on how to fix it now because of the chronic shutter problem. Last time I looked the shutter release problem thread was the second longest thread in the forum.

Announcements