cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

Most likely just repairing the solder joints will work for a long time but you know about Murphys Law! lol

I agree that just re-soldering will probably last a very long time. After all, most of the s100's out there never fail in this way. Too many do -- especially when one of them is mine. I think that on those that failed the original soldering was not quite hot enough,or the mating surfaces were not close enough or not enough flux flowed. I would be tempted when reheating to add a tiny tiny bit of additional solder -- if it looked like the original was skimpy. Also, now that we know the weak link we will take care not to press the shutter too hard.

georgeand
Apprentice
I have the sam problem. Cannon makes unreliable cameras.

Switch to Nikon

Any device can have flaws. Saddest part is Canon denying the flaw despite all the examples documented here.

Every OEM has their dirty little secrets, I bet even Nikon. As far as the S100, I bought a used, working one because of this very, very long but informative thread, I bought it because I was confident if the shutter did fail I could fix it ( because of the great information here) and also because it has an optional waterproof case made by Canon. I wanted a protected camera, protected against the water, sand, etc. and I bring mine to the beach and the lake all the time. It takes good quality pictures in wet environments, with the case of course, and is very compact. I do agree that Canon should have manned up to this shutter problem a long time ago. I think this is the longest thread on this forum or maybe the second longest and it is proof some S100's had this defect.

georgeand
Apprentice
It’s pretty embarrassing on cannon’s part. I’ve quit the brand completely because of this issue.

Announcements