cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

jwinniejr
Apprentice

Same thing happened to my wife's S100 last summer (2015). I bought the camera as a refurb from Adorama, and got a New Leaf extended warranty. Sent in for repair and came back not having been fixed.Now I see this issue all over the place: camera will achieve focus lock, but will not fire. This is a premium pocket camera from a major company, and it sounds like if this happens to you, you're simply out of luck. A $170+ repair cost charged by Canon for what appears to be a manufacturing or design flaw? Seriously Canon, you guys need to recall these cameras and just fix them.

QUAKE
Apprentice

It seems Canon parts in USA no longer has the CM1-7226-000 in stock anywhere, does anyone know where else this part may be obtained?

SC
Contributor

Reading posts on the forum regarding a fix for the shutter release malfunction I called Canon. They said that the required part ( CM1-7226-000) was no longer available after January 2016. Can anybody suggest an alternative source for the part?

Danluckett
Enthusiast
Did u talk to a live rep in parts dept? On line order form is hopeless.

Spoke to live person in U.S. and Canada. They said the replacement part was no longer available after Jan 2016.

LF1991
Apprentice

I find it very interesting that Canon are not replying now they can see that so many people are having the same problem.

I have the problem and my local Canon dealer cannot fix it, which I find very poor, and I don't see why I should have to try and repair the thing myself.  I have always used Canon for years, but the last 3 cameras I have had issues with, and I am losing confidence in them. 

If your local Canon place cant fix it they should be closed down!!

There are inexperienced regular people here that have fixed it themselves.

I'm not so sure you should lose complete faith in Canon but with that dealer I say yes...forget them!

good places go bad; bad places go bankrupt...

Unfortunatley most companies don't realize when customers turn away before its too late.

For me it was the second time that I experienced such a behaviour from canons and the last time to buy a Canon camera.

br 

Danluckett
Enthusiast
Seems odd since that part was likely a best seller.

What I have found very strange with my shutter release problem is that for long periods of time, i.e, months, the shutter release will not work then all of a sudden it will start working again. Just recently it has started to work again. This sequence began in 2014 after 2 years of ownership. 

Announcements