cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

The reset (removed memory card, quick double click of on/off button) did not change the problem of the shutter button not working 95% of time.  Back to the drawing board.

With anything digital a simple 'glitch' will clog things up, especially the address lines.

With any malfunction a 'reset' should be the first thing to try..... if it works 'lucky for you', if it doesn't nothing lost... I've seen this in my electronics repairs - folks struggling to get the thing working, lo and behold they stand in aw when you try a rerset and it DOES work!

There's always that chance that a reset will work.

S100 lens sticking does seem to be another issue that Canon needs to get sorted reading on various forums.

Davy

@Davy wrote:

S100 lens sticking does seem to be another issue that Canon needs to get sorted reading on various forums.

They did. See this link

GaryS:

They may well claim they have fixed the problem but it is still happening even on new cameras!

They may well claim they have fixed the problem but they are sending them back with the lens still sticking

Why is this?

Why can't they send them back 'fixed'?

I take my references not from just this forum but others before I even commented!

Dave

Reset didn't last. Taking a video seems to help, so I will use that trick

Just to update, taking a video doesn't really help. It's just that video is the only thing that works. It still takes an unknown amount of time and pressing the shutter button before it works...

Hi Sue,

Is the video a separate switch on your model camera, it is on my SX50 HS. That would fit into my theory, and it is only that, a theory, except with some very similar experiences I have seen first hand. Oh and two other things is there either a remote wireless shutter release or wired shutter release feature on the S100? That would/could almost verify what I am thinking if that worked. And try the self timer mode too...all those would narrow things down in my mind.

This does seems to be an inherent problem with your model...lets see if Canon steps up to the plate and does the right thing, they do monitor these messages. Besides an old Pentax film camera I've only purchased Canon once the digital age arrived. 

John

John:  there are no other shutter releases...wired or otherwise.  I tried setting it on delay and it still didn't take for about 5 or 6 times til it "warms up".  Then it works fine.  Turned it off again and when I turned it back on, the same hesitation occurs and it wouldn't take a picture for about 2 shutter presses. 

The sad thing is, I really love this little camera until this happened.  Why won't Canon acknowledge there seems to be an issue?

Sue

That is sad Sue ! Have you spoke with Canon directly as I now see there is another person with the same problem/ Id be interested in what Canon says.

I know how it is when you like a product but feel let down I have my fingers crossed that Canon helps you as well as the others with this one.

John

birdtrio3
Apprentice

Just registered on the forums to say that I have this problem as well. It's extremely frustrating that Canon has not acknowledged this as a manufacturer defect and is charging more than $100 to fix it?

I've bought the S100 brand new and used it for just about a year and half before the shutter issue showed up. I press to take a picture, like I have done thousands of times before, and the shutter won't go off. It only focuses. Trust me when I said I have like many of the other people here held and pressed down extremely hard, but it does not register. It takes a good 5-10 seconds hold before it finally takes a pictures, sometimes it doesn't even take one.

I have invested a lot in buying batteries, underwater housing, etc accessories specifically for this camera only for it to die out of the blue. I've taken upmost care of it. CANON could you take care of your customers or do we all have to send a complaint to BBB before you respond?

Announcements