cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

Mykolas
Authority

Sandysorlien,

I would like to ask a few questions if you do not mind answering.

1. What mode are you shooting in?
  2. When you press the shutter button down halfway, does the camera achieve a focus lock?
  3. What lighting are you shooting in when the camera will not take a picture?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello,

I am having the same issue. The shutter button often will not fire an image or won't take the shot until the shutter has been pressed for 5 or 6 seconds (it is not actively focussing, etc, during this time). Pressing half way does run the focus-lock, but after that it will not take the shot. This is in all modes. At one point I thought it was a physical problem with the button, but it's inconsistent and doesn't seem to be depedent on physical factors (pressing harder, quicker, etc).

5tr4t4,

The shutter button should not require a large amount of pressure to trigger the shutter release.  If the camera has achieved a focus lock successfully and you press the shutter button the rest of the way down, the picture should be taken.  If it is not, then your camera may need to be evaluated by our Factory Service Center technicians.

To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello,

I am having the same problem with my S100 -- shutter button when pressed does not work.  Initially holding button down for 5+ seconds would fire the shutter, but now even that does not work.  All other functions seem to be working (focusing, etc.), but not the shutter.  I have tried using the self-timer (does not work) and the "reset all" function (also does not work).  

Any suggestions as to how to fix or does this require a factory repair?  Is this a known issue?

Hi TEK1016!

There are no known issues with the PowerShot S100 and the shutter release not working properly.  In your case, the camera will need to be repaired. To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Is there a charge for this? It appears that Canon should be concerned about the number of faulty cameras it sold.

Yes there is usually a charge for the repairs unless you are lucky enough to be under warranty. For most the value of the camera is less that the cost of repairs. Canon was selling these for $130 refurbished last week. Auction sites range from about $100 to an insane amount for alleged working models.

There are 47 pages of people with the same problem....

can you address that?

Canon does not seem to monitor or post on this site. Your point is an excellent one. Try calling customer service, and escalate until you get satisfaction. They could at least make the part available, even if the camera is out of warrantee.

Announcements