cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

@John_ wrote:

I have several full-service manuals for other Canon cameras and in all of them the flex PCB's use connectors and do not need any soldering to R&R.

Hi John,

Connectors mounted at flex? Do You mean buttons like in s100 case? Are those buttons also transfering force on their flex? I am asking because elements mounted at flex are common but I have not seen any element that are meant to experience external force.

Hi, Jakub what I meant was all the flex boards are connected via push in connectors and they are not soldered to the main PCB for instance. The buttons, as you discovered, are soldered to the flex boards. I imagine there are better ways to assure switches like the shutter button can withstand the pressure and forces exerted on it but Canon dropped the ball on the S100. I think if they did something as simple as epoxying the switch to the flex board it would have prevented those solder joints from cracking over time due to force and movement.

When you disassemble enough to free the shutter release assembly (which includes removing GPS unit) you will pull a flex with a lot of fingers from a push connector. Removal is easy, but re-inserting is tricky because the flex (how shall I put this) flexes. You may need to use pliers to grip the flex but do not squeeze hard. Push too hard and something will bend or break. Don't push hard enough and you will not get all of the fingers in contact -- which happened to me and a few others -- and you have to go back and seat it more firmly. Take your time, and know when to stop. The rest of the job is just a matter of following instructions and keeping track of the screws.

Someone who repairs cell phones might have the right iron for the job.  The flex strip is part of the shutter release assembly. Replacing it does not require soldering, but does involve a lot of disassembly/reassembly. See earlier posts on this, and find Youtube videos to see how. I successfully replaced on mine with a new part. Disassemble your parts camera first, to see how it comes apart. Trickiest part is reinserting the main connector with just the right amount of force. Also, there are a lot of screws. You will need a system to keep track of which screw goes where -- they are not all the same. 

Good points Dan those small  screws are very hard to keep track of without some kind of tracking method. Some are only 0.5mm different from others.

Thanks for the advice, Dan! Will try to proceed with extra care but I need enought "bile juice" so to speak in Chinese before I do the transplant! Will post after I do it! 

Also be aware that some of the flex boards are held down with double sided tape so free them carefully

My post is gone once more...:/

PO
Contributor
Canon must have done it! They don't want us to repair the S100...want us to buy new cameras!!! Ha, ha! Interesting!

All of these messages flowing today just show how devoted a following this great little camera pulled in - except for the trouble with the one part.

Announcements