cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

Bit the bullet, ordered the part.

Cannon direct was 1-866-481-2569, option 1

total shipped (2 day shipping, 3 dollars more) 21.53

good luck

olaamocondios
Contributor
Thank God for you guys, I did the update and it was rather painless.

Just take your time on the screw heads so you don't chew them up, and slowly pull things apart so you don't put any stress on the ribbon cables and you can have it done in an hour. I took pictures of the screws as I removed them because there are some different sizes (port door screw is longer and one of the ones holding the top on is longer)

I do have one question though, should there have been sticky tape on the part I ordered? It didn't seem to have any double stick tape, I picked at the back of it for a bit because it is darker and I thought maybe it was under that but I just gave up and made sure everything fit into the guide holes correctly. The camera is working great again.

No, the part does not come with sticky tape. I just did not clean off the stickiness that was on the camera from the previous part.

There is no tape on the repair part. I just positioned it carefully and reassembled. Mine seems fine wth that. I suspect the tape helps with assembly at the factory, but is not critical once it is all put together. No place for it to go.  So far I have seen no reports of anyone sticking the part down. 

CanonIsCrap
Apprentice

Com' on Canon cough up and recall to fix this crap camera.  Everyone here got the same issue with this useless crap camera you've made.

I will never buy a canon again.  I will do what is in my power to post everything negative about Canon junk cameras!

Some have gotten a "courtesy service" (fix) by complaining to the BBB.

olaamocondios
Contributor
I can't really blame anyone who feels that way, it is crummy that there is this many posts and no recall.

Objectively, to say the part is working as designed would be saying it is designed to fail.

But, I am very glad this board exists and more importantly that there is some capable people posting the problem / fix because now I have a working camera again instead of having to throw it out or buy some other camera (which most definitely would be better researched)

Wasnt there a recall for a certain series depending on the serial number ?

Yes, John. The series list is posted on the Canon USA site. Unfortunately, there is a disconnect with Canon Canada.
When I tagged all the contributor posts on this board that contained series numbers, and asked others to record their numbers online in the forum, the moderator wrote that I had violated an agreement of the board and removed all such notes. He stated that people could be tracked through their purchases. I have no issue there, hadn't thought of the safety issue. When I amended my request to post only the first two numbers of the series (as this is not enough info to track anyone) the moderator removed ALL the previous posts that contained series numbers. I was trying to gather data to prove to Canon that the failure is not as isolated as they claim. I do remember that series 41, 42, 44, 46 and 48 were involved. If anyone else wants to try to collect the data, be my guest. I have decided my 400+ investment (yes, that's what the S100 cost tin Canada when new!) was a poor one, and use my husband's Fuji when mine won't work i.e. In hot, humid weather. I am afraid my eyes and patience are beyond the "fix it yourself" method. Oh, wordy, n'est-ce pas?
Announcements