cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

I'm now the proud owner of a Sony Nex-5N. The dead Canon S100 is sitting in my desk drawer; I'm not sending it in to be repaired until Canon gives some sort of public advice about the situation.

Ian

Dang. That sucks you had to buy another camera......

I hope they have an announcement about it.

Like they did for their 'lens error' one. Thanks for confining that the problem we are having is different. That gives me some hope they'll have another announcement about it...

Hopefully with our serial numbers!

A public notice for the S100 shutter release issue.... That we should live that long....
I was in a local Canadian camera store last week for another Canon purchase. That store did not stock the S100. Is it still in production?

Good point Angela. 🙂

The store stocks Canon S120s now. Which is pretty much the same as S100 but beefed up. I just don't think I should have to sink another $380 for something that's not my mistake.

Angela did you decide on your course of action? Canon still hasn't gotten back to me.

If the cameras looks similar I would stay away from it and select a different series.

Angela may be right it I do not expect Canon to do anything about this which is sad. I think they already know the reason for the chronic shutter button failure also the lens error. It may be a can of worms they do not want to open.

Tronnebonne depending on which component is the source resoldering it might not be as difficult as he said. The actual shutter switch has larger solder joints and can be carefully resolderer.

That's unfortunate about canon. I thought they'd actually do simmering about a problem that's this will known....

I wonder if s100s successors s110 s120 are having the same problems,....

John I guess I have nothing to lose if I take a look. I have no idea where to start investigating about fixing this. My friend does have a soldering machine.

I, too, own this infamous S100 frustrating canon. First purchased as a backup to my SLR, I soon found I was using it all the time. The best camera I have ever owned. (not now!) A few weeks ago I started having the same symptoms all of you on this particular forum have had. Frustrating! I have read every message on Canon’s $400 faulty camera. I had tried every suggested potential cure. I am not going to go thru the Canon fix by spending effort and money on this faulty product. That said, let me tell you what I did do that is interesting. Trying everything short of throwing the camera in a bucket of water, I flipped open the Audio Video Output flap on the right side of the camera and put my mouth tightly over the opening and blew two or three times hard into the camera. I know, moisture and all that stuff, but frustration rules!. I have not had any problems since! Each day for the last week or so I take many pictures, Turn the camera off and on continuously, Leave it in the Sun, keep it in the fridge, and abuse it in a way I would NEVER do before the failure of the shutter. This past weekend I went to a club gathering and took over 200 pictures ( all times, flash, low light, everything I could think of) I must have turned the camera off and on a jillion times. The camera worked and still works perfectly. I know, this will not continue. I do not , nor will I ever, trust this camera, however, I cannot get this camera not to work! I now use my SLR as a backup! How strange! Canon is NOT the same company!

Whoa wait! So your S100 works now? I think I know what Audio Video Output flap you are talking about. That is on the TOP right side of the camera? The rubbery part? I didn't think you could pry that open.

I'm willing to try anything at this point...! Thanks for your post I really do want to try this out.

uh omg! it just took a photo!
Announcements