cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shutter release not working S100

sandysorlien
Apprentice

Hello,

I am suddenly having problems with my S100. It will not take the picture when I press the shutter release. In case I had accidentally changed something, I did a Reset to Defaults. Then it worked, briefly, before returning to not working. It also would not let me change My Colors.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  Any ideas?

575 REPLIES 575

Angela - I really hope so. I just emailed   Canon Support <CareCenter (at)cits.canon.com>

Perhaps you can write an email too if they miss out on this forum. Pretty generic email as expected.

We might as well compare notes since we're in the same boat with this *defect* of theirs. 

I feel quite bad as I recommended many of my friends this Canon S100! I had no idea this problem would occur and I hope they don't have this problem... I forwarded them this thread so they are ready to write if such a problem occurs.

And I'd like to note I did try those steps to resolve the problem in the email below. It's basically a reset and no it didn't work.

-------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting Canon product support.  I understand that your PowerShot S100 camera is displaying a lens error. I will be happy to assist you with this error.

A lens error indicates that an internal error has occurred.  Sometimes this can happen if the batteries run very low while the camera attempts to power off.  It can also appear if there has been physical damage to the lens mechanism.

Note:  Please ensure you use an alternate or fully charged set of batteries to check your camera.

Please follow these steps to attempt to resolve the problem:

1.  Remove the batteries from the camera.

2.  Let the camera sit with the batteries removed for approximately 20 minutes.

3.  Reinstall the batteries and power on the camera.  If you receive the same message, your camera will require service to correct the issue.

Canon has confirmed that some PowerShot S100 digital cameras encounter a lens error caused by a disconnected part inside the camera.  Those PowerShot S100 Digital Cameras within the following serial number range are affected:

The first and second digits of the camera’s serial number are any number from “29” through “41.”

For example: “29xxxxxxxxxx”, “30xxxxxxxxxx”, ”41xxxxxxxxxx” etc.

(The [x] characters shown above represent the remaining characters of the product’s serial number.)

Canon USA will repair free of charge, regardless of the warranty status, if it is confirmed that the lens error has been caused by disconnection of the part inside the lens.  If your camera has a serial number in the range listed above you are entitled to have your camera repaired free of charge.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/consumer_repair

Please mail your camera to the Factory Service Center (FSC) shown below.  When shipping your camera, be sure to remove the memory card and battery.  You are not required to send any accessories or manuals to the FSC.  Include your name, email address, physical address, telephone number, and a letter describing the issue.  Please remember to pack the camera well to prevent damage during shipment and send it using a service that can track and insure the package. 

You may send your camera to the following address:

Canon Factory Service
12022 Canon Boulevard
Newport News, VA 23606

Upon arrival at the FSC, your camera will be entered into our repair database and assigned a repair number.  A technician will visually inspect your camera and advise you of the findings.  When the repairs are complete your camera will be shipped back to you via Federal Express.  Usually, a warranty repair is completed within approximately five to seven business days of the camera's arrival at the FSC.  If the repair entails something that is not covered by the warranty, a written estimate will be emailed or mailed to the address that you have provided.  All repair work will begin once the estimate is approved and payment is made.  You can decline the repair if you wish by notifying the FSC and the camera will be returned to you.

*Please note that our U.S. Factory Service Centers are unable to accept packages from or return equipment to addresses outside the United States.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your PowerShot S100 camera. Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Nancy
Technical Support Representative

Hi tronnebonne: Is Nancy From Canon mistaken, when she describes your camera's problem as a 'lens error'? The problem that most of us describe here (you included, I think) seems to have nothing to do with lens errors, or error messages of any kind. Or am I mistaken? I certainly never received any error messages of any kind from my camera. The thing turns on  quite happily, the lens extends and focuses...it just won't take bloody photos.

Ian

In my case the issue is the shutter release, as Is Tiffany's.

I don't think they are taking this very seriously

I believe this is the most chronic problem in these forums and Canon should take these reports seriously considering the quantity of reports on these S100.

The older G5 modles had the same symptoms which I have personally repaired. In fact I targeted those models with these symptoms on auction sites to buy, repair and resell. The fix was easy, no parts needed, and I sill believe it is similar if not the same with these S100's.

From normal use, not abuse, the circuit board which holds the switch that the shutter button activates comes loose and moves away either to far to realease the shutter at alll or just far enough to make it intermittent and annoying. It could also be the solder joints on the switch as temperature would effect a faulty solder joint.

It would be beneficial to hear from someone who has paid to have it fixed and the details of what the fix was. Usually a local camera repair place will give a better description of what the repair was as opposed to a larger company which by design is vague or limited in the details they can provide.

Interesting and thanks for sharing your findings, John. I agree with John - someone who has had it fixed, are there any details on what the fix was? I'm curious.

So you were able to repair a similar problem on the older G5 models? Nice to know the fix is easy, but I don't want to attempt it incase Canon voids my... oh wait I don't have warantee since a year has definitely passed by now. voids my whatever, I suppose. There could be a chance if I send it in that they do fix it for free.

Definitely for me it was normal use. I was very disappointed because I brought this camera to a fabulous hiking event and I wasn't able to capture some quick wild life shots (they move fast!) 

Just as a note, I do love my Canon s100. It's an extremely great camera and a good use for people who don't want to carry heavy SLRs but don't want to use their crappy camera phones 🙂 There is still a big difference between my canon s100 and the iphone and nexus 5 camera phones for sure. 

So to have my S100 fail like this and there is no real resolution is quite a disappointment.

Hi John,

I fully agree to what you are saying... sounds reasonable to me and also reflects the experience I got with my S100 - see my post on July 3rd:

Finally my problem was solved!! I sent in my Powershot S100 to Canon Germany and they repaired it for free. Now everything works fine again. The repair note states that the circuit board directly below the shutter switch was replaced. FINALLY!!! Don't stop believing folks. 😉

...the part that was replaced is called FPC ASS'Y, TOP... maybe that helps you guys.

John,

I just recently got my camera back from the Newport News, VA location for repairs.  I wish I could have waited to see if they eventually own up to this problem and fix it for free, but I was missing too many shots of my little babies, couldn't afford a simlar camera at full price, and ultimately just decided to pay for the repairs.

In case anyone is interested, the repair came to $175USD, which included the labor, shipping, and tax. It was also a very speedy repair. Once I authorized it, it must have been completed same day or next day, because I got a shipping notification very quickly.

The repair slip says "Your product has been examined and it was found that the uper cover assembly did not operate properly, the dial could not operate properly. The upper cover assembly was replaced. Further, it was found that the optical assembly did not operate properly, causing black spots. The optical assmebly was replaced. Product functions were confirmed."

Also, it says Cover ASS'Y, TOP, BLACK Part#CM1-7355-000, and OPTICAL ASS'Y, BLACK Part # CY1-9182-000.

The repair was warrantied for 3 months. If this thing breaks on 3 months and one day, I'm contacting the BBB.

I'm not a camera techie, so I don't know what those parts are, or what the repairs were, but I can tell you that I have babied this camera since I got it. It lives in a padded case and I can't recall ever dropping it or anything else of the nature. The camera functioned perfectly until it was just outside the 2-year warranty I had purchased, then started having a shutter delay, then eventually stopped taking pictures at all. I could still turn it on, focus it, and zoom, so I'm not sure what they mean by the dial not operating properly. One day it took great photos, the next day it took photos six seconds late, then the next day it just stopped working.

I hope this information is useful to someone. The camera is working fine again...for now. Unfortunately, I keep handling it like it's a tiny egg or piece of crystal! I'm afraid if I just look at it wrong, it will stop taking pictures again!

Tronnebonnne yes I was able to repair the similar problems on the G5. All it was was a metal tab on the printed circuit board  bends causing the board to move to far away from the shutter switch. No parts needed just about an hours worth of time to repair it. I reinforced that area to prevent it from bending again. It bent from normal use of the shutter button.

Powershot100 ...FPC is the abbreviation for Flexible Printed Circuit. It is the cicuit board I am referring to which holds the switch the shutter button presses on to take the shot. Did it need to be replaced or was it just bent or had a bad solder joint? Who knows right ? My thoughts are even more reinforced now though and I bet the board could have been repaired. OEM's get those parts for very little money and as a matter of both policy and efficiency they tend to replace rather than repair.

Lens errors and replacing lens assemblies require expensive test equipment and software to repair properly. I would never attempt that and I think it is unrelated to the shutter switch problem. They would only replace the lens assembly if it were absolutely necessary.

Hi John,

Update. I went to a camera store that sells CANON and other cameras. They have confirmed it's a shutter error and nothing to do with the "lens error" annoucement that was posted publicly by CANON. John, I showed them your post regarding "FPC". The canon sales guy simply shaked his head and said it as just unfortunate we all have this problem with the camera. He noted that this FPC problem isn't because of the camera owners. I know a forum member mentioned they practically "babied" their S100 🙂

He mentioned the problem could be that a tiny piece wasn't soldered properly for a mass number of CANON S100. And that it would be very very difficult for humans to repair this ourselves since this was made by machinery.

I'll send CANON another email with this new information. What are the rest of you doing? 

Cheerio,

Tronne

Announcements