cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem taking photos of text

Alfred
Apprentice

Hello,

I have a PowerShot SD880 IS.  I don't use it often.

I'm trying to take a photo of typewritten text but it's blurry.  I'm sure that I must have changed a setting when I bought the camera to optimize it for the photos I was taking at the time.

Of course I tried zooming in and out and moving the camera closer and further away.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

7 REPLIES 7

Alfred
Apprentice

I found the option to Reset All settings, but this does not appear to have solved the problem.

I just found how to change ISO to 80 (the lowest setting).  Seems to help but doesn't solve problem.

Do you have an example?  Outside of ISO, what are your camera's settings?

Is the text in a book that may be one pages that are not flat?  Or is the text on a perfectly flat surface?   Is the camera on a tripod?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Depending on the distance, you might have to set macro mode.

Thank you both.

My immediate problem is solved.  I went to Staples and scanned the document for 54 cents.

I thought I might need macro mode but I don't really know what that is.

The document in questions is a typed letter.

My camera works fine for the kinds of pictures I normally take, so I'm going to consider Staples the solution for the rare occassions when I need to take a photo of text.

Thanks again for the responses.

You can also get a printer/scanner combination.

If you wish to explore the functions of your camera (always a wise move), I recommend reading the manual. If you don't have it any more, you can download it from the Canon website.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements