cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

powershot sx540 confusion

hobbygirl
Apprentice

Hi, my first question in this forum is related to sx540 which became my second after sx600 canon camera just a couple weeks ago. As much as I like the quality of AUTO shots in comparing to the AUTO in my previous camera, the same much is my confusion when trying to shoot in AUTO but in zoom all I can see on a screen is blur that doesn't disappear when shutter is half pressed.  I thought AUTO is designed to adjust all settings in a way that camera can shoot clear image. Am I wrong or there is something wrong with my new camera and it doesn't work properly in telephoto. Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Usually the yellow fram is indicative that you are too close to the subject and the camera cannot get a focus lock as described in the manual on P75. In your manual at P179 it defines the closest focusing distance as 1.3m or 4.3ft, but that would be with the camera at its widest angle - which is offering you the greatest depth of field.  

As I mentioned, the fact that you can get a lock on wide angle supports the idea that when  you zoom in to a longer focal length the closest focusing distance increases and so you need to move back a bit and you should get the focus lock to come back.

@hobbygirl wrote:

Thank you, it does have macro function under P and other modified options, unfortunatelly it gives me yellow frame often in macro as well and I don't know what I do wrong.

When I used Tv and set shutter speed I believed camera should adjust all other settings accordingly but it showed me yellow frame when I pointed camera and half pressed shutter button, not always but often. I would appreciate any good tips if possible, thank you

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Hobbygirl and welcome to the forum. Smiley Happy

A couple of questions would help us clarify your issue.

As I understand it your issue is with the Canon SX540HS and not the SX600HS.

1. How close to the subjects are you when you are shooting?

2. If you start off with a wide angle is that in focus?

3. If so, when you zoom in does it not gain focus when you RE-PRESS the shutter button? 

4. If, so, have tried stepping away a pace or two from your subject and try to refocus?

@hobbygirl wrote:

Hi, my first question in this forum is related to sx540 which became my second after sx600 canon camera just a couple weeks ago. As much as I like the quality of AUTO shots in comparing to the AUTO in my previous camera, the same much is my confusion when trying to shoot in AUTO but in zoom all I can see on a screen is blur that doesn't disappear when shutter is half pressed.  I thought AUTO is designed to adjust all settings in a way that camera can shoot clear image. Am I wrong or there is something wrong with my new camera and it doesn't work properly in telephoto. Thank you in advance.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi and thank you for replying to my post. I was talking about sx540. I have bought it recently and feel a bit disappointed.

1. Distance to the object (flowers) was around 1-2m and I wanted to take close up photo of the flower and used zoom. It didn't work in Auto or even P modes.

2. Wide angle is fine to focus

3.re-press the shutter, does it mean to press twice or just half way. I pressed half way and it couldn't focus.

4. If I  step back so distance is around double of the first try then I can get zoomed focus.

From my experience so far I only can achive having close up photos staying far away and using decent zoom, which I understand reducing photo quality giving it more noise.

In overall this camera can't focus showing yellow rectangle with exclamation mark in a corner too often. Even in P or Tv modes

Would you have advice for me how to trick these issues to get better quality photos.

Thank you

Tronhard
Elite
Elite
It is as I thought. The camera has a minimum focusing distance that varies with the lens focal length. Telephoto distances are further away than wide angle.
However, your camera should have a macro or close-up function. The symbol looks like a flower and is usually on the circular dial to the right of you LCD screen. See your manual for changing to that feature and you should get much better close-up performance.
If this solves your issue please click on the resolved feature on your post, otherwise let us know what happened.
Cheers Trevor

cheers, TREVOR

Thank you, it does have macro function under P and other modified options, unfortunatelly it gives me yellow frame often in macro as well and I don't know what I do wrong.

When I used Tv and set shutter speed I believed camera should adjust all other settings accordingly but it showed me yellow frame when I pointed camera and half pressed shutter button, not always but often. I would appreciate any good tips if possible, thank you

Usually the yellow fram is indicative that you are too close to the subject and the camera cannot get a focus lock as described in the manual on P75. In your manual at P179 it defines the closest focusing distance as 1.3m or 4.3ft, but that would be with the camera at its widest angle - which is offering you the greatest depth of field.  

As I mentioned, the fact that you can get a lock on wide angle supports the idea that when  you zoom in to a longer focal length the closest focusing distance increases and so you need to move back a bit and you should get the focus lock to come back.

@hobbygirl wrote:

cheers, TREVOR

Thank you for your help

Announcements