cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

powershot sx230 has lost connection to battery. the compartment door does not shut tight

1119university
Apprentice

Can anyone recommend a fix?

The compartment door seems to not shut tight enough against the battery.  The camera did not get dropped, etc.  The problem just started.

4 REPLIES 4

smack53
Mentor

Make sure there is no dirt around the battery door, both the door itself, and the camera body. I had a very small piece of dirt that was near the hinge and it kept the battery door from closing properly. Use a can of air to dislodge any dirt, and make sure the batteries are going fully into the battery compartment in the correct direction. Have you changed battery brands lately? Maybe the batteries are a slight bit bigger and keep the door from closing. Not very likely, but something to look at. Take a look at the battery door hinge and see if the side pins have come unseated. That doesn't usually happen unless the camera is bumped or dropped, but may as well have a look anyway.

Hopefully your's will be a simple fix.

Thanks for the reply.

I went out and bought a can of compressed air.  I blew inside the compartment and outside, just to be safe.  There was no visible debris anywhere.  Everything on the camara looks in place.  Only when i firmly press on the door does the power come on.  When released, the camara powers down.

I have not changed batteries since I have owned the camera.  I have two, and switch them in and out.

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi 1119university,
There are a couple of things that would account for this.

The first is a change in the shape of the Battery Pack NB-5L itself.  To check for this, please use a non-metallic, non conductive straight edge against each of the 6 sides of the battery pack.  If any of them are curved, please discontinue its use.  Your battery pack should be replaced.

If the Battery Pack is ok, look at the battery door without the battery inside.  Does it flip down smoothly and all the way? 

Once down, does it smoothly slide back and forth, towards and away from the hinge side of the door (both actions are shown on page 17 of the PowerShot SX230 HS Camera User Guide.

If neither of the above apply, your camera will require service to correct this issue.  You may contact us for service options information for the replacement battery pack.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The door seems to slide smooth and the battery pack is ok.

I will follow the link provided and attemp to service this camera.

Thank you for your effort. 

Announcements