cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

powershot file name

john1816
Apprentice

Is there a way to change the file name from IMG_1234 to a more unique name on a SX50HS camera?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks, I'll give it a try! 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

smack53
Mentor

Hi John1816,

The only way I know to change the file name on the SX series is using the software that came with the camera when you are downloading to the computer. Even the high end G series cameras only allow you to change the way the numbering is done, either continuously or auto-reset. There may be a way with CHDK software, but I haven't used that on my cameras to know enough about it.

Smack53

Thanks for the reply Smack53.  I can't believe a major company like Canon would produce something so restrictive.  I am getting around the problem using a file renaming feature on a product called Total Commander; but is a convulted process.

The DPP (Digital Photo Professional) software that comes with the camera has an excellent renaming tool that makes the task very simple. You can rename one, some, or all photos at one time. This is the tool that Canon uses for all their cameras for basic editing, trimming, cloning, etc. If you haven't used it, why not give it a try. You can even rate your photos and look at the shooting information (EXIF). Best part is its free software.

Smack53

Thanks, I'll give it a try! 

Announcements