cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my canon sx50 hs, the display and view finder are not working, no image

gabi
Contributor

my canon sx50 hs, the display and view finder are not working, no image.. all the info it's on the screen which is black and I can't see what I'm looking at, no picture, no image. I have owned this camera since Feb and I am very happy with it. Last night I was taking Moon shots and all of a sudden the display went black, I switched to view finder and the same thing. And I get no error message.. please help. Thank you.

21 REPLIES 21

thank you! but I did send it to Canon and they repaired it and it's working fine now. (the shutter was not working)

Yes, the shutter is not working.. Mine was still in warranty and I shipped it to Canon and after aprox. 10 days I got it back, repaired and working. I haven't had a problem since. I think you need to do the same. Good luck! I don't have another camera and I love this one so for me was worth repairing (even if I didn't have warrenty I would still have repaired it)

Hello,

I'm having the same issue this past week, was at the beach on monday and set the camera to film on the tripod... when I came back to it the screen was dark... all the information was visible on a black screen... I thought something must have happened to the sensor....

I tried it again later and it worked... I thought that it must have been the heat...

Then thursday at night, it would get all black again.... but I had read this forum... so I gave it a slap... and guess what... it worked ... (not before ruining my shots) ...

Worked fine till last night, I was taking pictures on the tripod but suddenly the aperture became obstructed halfway... like there was something that was blocking half the screen... I tried slapping it again, but it didn't resolve the issue - of course, I didn't dare to slap too hard...

Can you advise where I should send the camera to? for repairs... or is there something i can do myself...?

You see I'm halfway across the world... I bought the camera from a friend from the US, back in February this year and I don't know if i can send it locally - I'm in Mauritius, in the middle of the indian ocean... (google it)

Hoping to hear from you very soon...

Reuben

you seem to have the same problem like the one I had.. the shutter is not working. I know for USA the Canon Service Center is in Virginia and that is where I shipped mine and they fixed it for me.. I guess you should go to the Canon web site and find out a service center near Mauritius, called them also to make sure that they will help you out. Good luck to you. Ps: my camera it's working fine, haven't had a problem since it was repaired, and I am very happy with the camera! 

Thanks for your quick response...

Checked online, Got no repair center in Mauritius, the closest one is in South Africa.... Been looking for the warranty card... can't find it 😕

Was yours still under warranty? if not, how much did you pay?

yes, mne was under warranty. 

It might be as cheap to send to UK as South Africa.  

I can recommend cole camera repairs for a fair

price. You'd need to factor in quotes you get in SA.

Thank you,

I've also contacted the US one and they've denied me the service as well, they're saying I have to send it to someone in the US who will deal with them and send me back the camera when the repairs are done...

Really disappointed with Canon's aftersales...  I've owned like 6 canon cameras over the years and I had no idea canon would be such a bitch to repair a fault in their cameras...

Here's what they said "

I understand your position regarding shipment of your PowerShot SX50 HS.  At this time the available options to repairing your camera is to ship to a friend or family member who can ship to our Canon factory service center or ship to the Canon factory service center near your location.  I'm sorry that I cannot assist you further in the matter."

They just don't want to help... not the sort of honours I'd expect from the brand...

Is your camera within the guarantee period?

You don't need the guarantee card, Canon can

tell from its number.

I had a similar response as my camera was out of its

guarantee period. Canon does not deal directly with

repairs in that case but gives a list of approved repairers. 

Another factor might be because you are not the

original buyer.

My SX50 had ghosting on the screen but the

snaps were fine. Sent it to Dave Cole who fitted

a new screen. £80. 

(One approved centre quoted £176, which is more than I

paid for the camera.)

Knowing where you live, I doubt that many will feel sorry for you!

Robinvragovich
Apprentice

I hav e a question. My view finder works to view pictures already taken but I want to use the view finder to take the picture. How do I get that to work?

Announcements