cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my Powershot A590 will not flash no matter what flash setting I use

billlinhardt
Apprentice

I had been using the AUTO setting for flash and was very happy with the results.  All of a suddon--the flash will not work with any setting.  Any thoughts, should I take it to a camera shop, sent it to Canon, or what?

7 REPLIES 7

John_
Authority

You might have turned off the flash function. On the back there is a lighting bolt symbol on that cross above the fucntion set button  number 13. Press it then you should see 3 options for your flash, on, off or auto. Check yours is on Auto.

flash.JPG

It is set on Auto. As I said in my original submission--it will not flash on any setting.

Thanks

And you do not get any error codes ? no Flash with a line thru it icon on your LCD ?

Have you tried a "Reset ALL" or "Reset Defaults" thru your setting menu just as a last resort?

Also the flash depends heavily on the battery to charge up the capacitor, much more so than to just take a picture. Do you have more than one battery to try or buy a new one ? Usually though a failure to charge the flash will produce an error of some sort yet a new battery is cheap to try and you will use it once the camera is fixed unless your going to trash it or sell on an auciton site listing the problem in the ad

If none of the above helps I would suggest especially if your camera is still under warranty to call Canon since as you say every setting kind of covers all the bases.

Just trying to throw some ideas out there, you'd be surprised at how many times its just a simple setting or some obscure sequence of buttons that may have accidentally gotten pushed and created a problem.

The A590 is from 2008, so it might be that the flash bulb needs to be replaced. Do you use the flash a lot? It could also be that the flash compensation is set very low and you're not noticing the flash. Press the func/set button and scroll down to the +/- ans see if the flash compensation is down on the low setting. If so, set it higher and see if that helps. Otherwise, I'd be thinking the flash bulb.

Steve M.

Thanks Steve, I'm beginning to suspect the flash bulb too, but my local camera shop guy says it can't be replaced except at the factory, and will be more expensive that a new camera. Do you believe that, or is he just trying to make a sale?

Unfortunately he is telling the truth. That camera is not worth that much on the used market, and unless you're willing to open up the camera, the labor rate will bring the cost up significantly. I'm not sure where you could even buy the flash bulb either. These cameras are not really made to be repaired since everything is on circuit boards, which are costly in themselves.

KEH Camera is an on line shop that I've purchased camera gear from and they have a large assortment of used cameras that could replace the A590. I checked before, but they did not have any used A590's available at this time.

Steve M.

those can be bought used and in working order for 50-80 dollars on an auction site so yes and service will cost more than the camera is worth. If you have a lot of accessories and things for that model and want to stay with it you could go that route.

Announcements