cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory card

1maggiemae09
Contributor

This is my first camera,period,the retailer said it came with a meimory card which it didn't ,I live in a remote rural area and don't have a clue as to where or what size memory card to order,need some help,thanks.

18 REPLIES 18

See page 203 of your manual. I don't have that particular model but it will be in the menus somewhere, usually one of the menus under the "wrench" icon. Formatting the memory card is a really good habit to get into, particularly if you use multiple cards in multiple cameras, as I do. Before you format, make sure you have backed up the current images on the memory card to at least one other location (I use a portable external hard drive).

your very welcome...I usually buy SanDisk cards like that other member said and I've not had any problems with them. SanDisk also has good support on their website you can go there for information on the different types of read and write speeds. I dont worry so much about the speeds for use in a camera. I have a few different sizes from 8 gb, 16 gb 32 gb and 64 gb. I would suggest not going smaller than 16 gb if your only going to get one.

I use my 64gb card mostly but keep in mind it holds a lot of pictures which is good but it's easy to lose track of all the pictures on the larger cards. But there are ways around that like creating folders on the card, sorting by date etc.

The 8gb cards are good becuase they fill up faster and force me to go through the pictures more frequently and delete the not so good shots and save the rest on my computer in folders or send some out to be printed.If you get the smaller 8gb get more and carry more than one.

retiredphotog
Apprentice

I haven't seen it mentioned but you should use a Class 10 SD card as it reads and writes much faster. I use a Sandisk 32gb Extreme Pro which is a Class 10 card and it reads and writes extremely fast.

I've noticed that Class 10 cards have different transfer speeds shown on them from 30 MB/s up to 95MB/s.  Is there any real advantage to a higher transfer speed card?

It depends on your shooting style. If you are shooting video or high burst rate consecutive shots (especially in RAW + JPEG), faster is definitely better. If your style is slower and more contemplative, it doesn't really matter.

I was thinking more in terms of high burst rate or at least taking several shots in fairly quick succession.

You would be much better off with that shooting style using a fast Class 10 card. Fast shots will write to the card much faster.

How fast are we talking about.  I've got a 30MB/s card now but was really wondering if  a say 95MB/s card would make a noticable difference.

That's going to depend on the write speed of your memory buffer. Newer cameras generally have faster write speeds than older ones.
Announcements