cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory card lock

gtbsgajd
Apprentice

Have a brand new elph 520 HS.  First time trying to operate receive "Memory Card Locked".  Purchased a brand new memory card.  Same error.  Can't format, the "format" option remains in the background and is not selectable

8 REPLIES 8

Skirball
Authority

Is there a little physical switch on the SD card itself?  Some of them have locks to prevent them from being erased.

It does, but I have used the "adapter" that comes with it to ensure that it is in the unlock position. I have tried 2 separate cards and both receive the same error message

Why type of memory card is it?  e.g. SD, SDHC, SDXC?  and size?

Are these cards from other devices like a cell phone etc? The idea that you're using an adapter introduces more ways to run into problems.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Its a micro sd 8 gb SanDisk Ultra, I can't find a lock on the actual card itself.  But this card replaces the earlier card which also resulted in the "memory card lock" error message.  

I just looked at a Micro Sd card under my magnifier & there is NO lock on it BUT there is one on the adapter. The tab needs to be towards the terminal end for UNLOCKED so if something is pushing it back as the adapter is inserted into the camera you may need to put a piece of celo tape over the area to hold the lock tab where it needs to be.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Yes This is the right solutions, I did the same before on sandisk sd card.

I guess you are using Micro SD card. Sometimes the lock/unlock pin on the adapter is not working well. You can try to jiggle it slightly and tried on both position.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements