cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

losing color when converting to RAW

bobn
Apprentice

I have a Canon SX50 and tried the RAW feature out yesterday. I am very impressed with the detail and the color that show up on the preview screen. However, when I convert the images to JPG, the color is no where near correct. I could make a good black and white photo with my photo program (Photoscape) but nothing else.  Photoscape has an easy to use RAW to JPG converter. I used that as well as a free online converter called Imverter. The results with both converters were the same: lack of much of the original color. Can anybody help me with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, Bobn.
I looked at Photoscape and it appears to have an "editor" tab/page that includes much of what you need to punch up your RAW image before you convert it to JPEG for printing or posting. Look at boosting contrast and color primarily, and adjusting brightness as needed. Also a tiny bit of sharpening will help you too.
i think you would do well to get your DPP up and running eventually, but I think the Photoscape can work too. Look in Google Videos for free how-to tutorials on Photoscape. I checked and there are several.

Good luck,
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@bobn wrote:

I have a Canon SX50 and tried the RAW feature out yesterday. I am very impressed with the detail and the color that show up on the preview screen. However, when I convert the images to JPG, the color is no where near correct. I could make a good black and white photo with my photo program (Photoscape) but nothing else.  Photoscape has an easy to use RAW to JPG converter. I used that as well as a free online converter called Imverter. The results with both converters were the same: lack of much of the original color. Can anybody help me with this?

It sounds as though there might be a color space mismatch between the camera and the editor. If the editor lets you set the color space (and it should if it's a decent editor), you almost certainly want sRGB, not Adobe RGB or something else.

Also, the fact that a JPEG converter is easy to use doesn't mean it does a good job. Try a different converter and see if it works better. Try to get ahold of Digital Photo Professional (the freebie editor that Canon supplies with its more expensive cameras), and try that. Its JPEG converter is both easy to use and functionally good.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

RAW images always look dull and drab. You must process them with a good post processing programm before you convert them to JPEG's. Typically you will boost contrast, add a little sharpening, boost color, etc...

The preview on the camera's LCD is processed to look like a jpg would, but the actual RAW image file will be un-treated.

Do you have Canon's DPP program? If not, or if you want to upgrade a bit, try something like Adobe Lightroom 5. Very simple to use, and it is non-destructive editing. Your original image is not altered, and instead it creates a sidecar "recipe" file that contains your changes.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

I found the Canon disk that came with the camera. It apparently has the DPP program on it but I'm too computer illiterate to figure out how to download it. Was planning on having my son take a look at in when he gets home from overseas in a few weeks. I can make very nice black and white and sepia prints in the meantime. A lot of what I do is old family pictures for genealogy. Thanks for your assistance.

Hi, Bobn.
I looked at Photoscape and it appears to have an "editor" tab/page that includes much of what you need to punch up your RAW image before you convert it to JPEG for printing or posting. Look at boosting contrast and color primarily, and adjusting brightness as needed. Also a tiny bit of sharpening will help you too.
i think you would do well to get your DPP up and running eventually, but I think the Photoscape can work too. Look in Google Videos for free how-to tutorials on Photoscape. I checked and there are several.

Good luck,
Scott

I've been experimenting today. I hit "auto level-high" and "color enhance" and have been having wonderful results. Then the picture is ready for my usual manipulations. I am quite adept at Photoscape and have my own website for bird photos and also one for genealogy.

Thanks for all your attention to this "problem". 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements