cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lens error

rtrout
Contributor

Hi! I got my camera around a year ago, and it was working fine. Recently, someone dropped my camera and the lens wont go in or out. iIs stuck open and zoomed out a little. I tried contacting the repair center, but they say my serial number doesn't exist or somehting like that... I'm not sure if anyone can help me, but is there anything i can do??? Should i try to push in the lens? thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

"How could I know if its a gray market merchandise?"

Did you say you bought if on Amazon? Amazon is an authorized Canon USA dealer. However, some, many, of the camera suppliers that sell on Amazon are not. They have to sell grey market. If you bought it directly from Amazon than it is a Canon USA product. My advice, and the same from the regulars here, is to tell people to avoid Amazon for photography gear.

If you don't have your receipt it may be difficult to tell where it came from. You do not need your warranty card to have Canon service the camera. You will have to pay for the repairs but a dropped camera is not likely to be covered by warranty anyway unless you bought it with Canon Care.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

The serial number on my Powershot G1X is on the bottom in a silver label.

EB

I just checked Amazon for a PowerShot SX620HS. It looks like a new one is around $380. There are several buying options. One is Canon USA itself. The others I don't know about so if you choose the low cost option you might(?) have a grey market camera. It doesn't appear or it isn't apparently clear if it is available from Amazon itself which would also make it a Canon USA product.

I suggest you call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666 and have a conversation with a real person that will know all the answers. This forum is a user based and not a good way to contact Canon. We are not Canon employees. The moderators, Canon employees, chime in occasionally buy thereisn't any guarantee they will.

I can't tell you what they will say but I can tell you Canon is far better than most big companies. Smiley Happy

EB

Thanks for you help! I'm gonna take your advice and try talking to someone. Will tell the outcome!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend
Since it’s not a Rebel do not do my suggestion on the lens.
I dropped one of my Powershot cameras and got it repaired by Canon. It is possible but watch the cost closely. Also consider the shipping and insurance in the price.
EB
Announcements