cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

infinity focusing problem on my SX700

rfp3
Apprentice

I consistently have infinity focusing problems with my SX700.  I get the yellow box indicating that the image will be soft if taken.  This happens on at least 1 other Canon point and shoot that I'm aware of.  I can focus at several hundred feet but not 10,000.  Does anyone else have this problem?  I'm at my wits end and ready to jump ship to another manufacturer if I can't get to the bottom of this.  I never had this problem with my G-10.  Could it be an issue with extreme telephoto Canon point and shoot models?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

smack53
Mentor

I have a Canon PowerShot SX150is and a Canon PowerShot G12, and I get the same issues. Here's what I've learned. The problem with any long zoom point and shoot at the tele end is the amount of contrast detection that happens to allow the focusing. With shorter zooms, the atmospherics are less dense, but longer zooms start to detect the density of the air. This is particulary noticeable on any day with higher humidity levels, but would not be noticed on very dry low humidity days. Hence the soft focus warning you get. The camera is not getting enough contrast to fine tune the focus. Doesn't matter what brand you use, if the camera uses contrast detect to focus, this will be the result. Not all use contrast detect, so be be sure to check before you decide on "jumping ship".

I would keep the ISO as low as possible, and if you can manually set the focus to infinity, it should help. But that has always been a sore point with me on Canon PowerShot cameras with how long and complex manual focusing is. Hope this helps you understand what may be the issue you are experiencing.

Steve M.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

smack53
Mentor

I have a Canon PowerShot SX150is and a Canon PowerShot G12, and I get the same issues. Here's what I've learned. The problem with any long zoom point and shoot at the tele end is the amount of contrast detection that happens to allow the focusing. With shorter zooms, the atmospherics are less dense, but longer zooms start to detect the density of the air. This is particulary noticeable on any day with higher humidity levels, but would not be noticed on very dry low humidity days. Hence the soft focus warning you get. The camera is not getting enough contrast to fine tune the focus. Doesn't matter what brand you use, if the camera uses contrast detect to focus, this will be the result. Not all use contrast detect, so be be sure to check before you decide on "jumping ship".

I would keep the ISO as low as possible, and if you can manually set the focus to infinity, it should help. But that has always been a sore point with me on Canon PowerShot cameras with how long and complex manual focusing is. Hope this helps you understand what may be the issue you are experiencing.

Steve M.

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate the time it took to respond.

Veganman
Apprentice

I recently upgraded from an SX50 to an SX70. Overall, I am pleased with some of the improvements, but I have had numerous occasions where the camera wouldn't autofocus regardless of the what mode I am in. I am primarily interested in photographing birds, and I generally use either Manual, TV or AV. Certain birds, especially darker-colored ones, present the biggest challenge. I sure wish there was a manual focus ring on the lens.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for me to try? Thanks in advance!

Announcements