cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to delete images from sx160 is

jimknoy
Apprentice

For some reason, now I cannot delete images from the card from my Powershot. I used to be able to. Is there a setting on the camera?

3 REPLIES 3

ScottyP
Authority

Hi Jim,

Two likely possibilities here are:

1.)  Card's lock switch is on "lock".

The cards themselves have a little "protect" switch on them.  Yours may have gotten nudged into the "locked" position.  Look for the switch on the left side of the card.  If it is up/forward it is ok.  If it is down (or partially down) in the "lock" position printed on the card, it is perhaps locked.

2.)  Camera is set to "protect" images and not delete them.

You can also protect images from deletion through the camera itself.  I am not sure what model camera you have, but in the "menus" (or in the choices in the image review screen?) look for one that talks about protecting (or unprotecting) images.  Try removing the protection.

Do either of these do the trick?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

yes and no. excellent ideas and i learned more about how these things work. What I also learned, is that I can format the card in the camera as I do with my SLRs.  My past powershots did not have this option. I can be slow to learn sometimes, I think I am good to go. Thanks for your quick response.

ScottyP
Authority

Hi, Jim,

You could indeed just reformat the card every time and get rid of the images.  But you should also be able to use the in-camera "erase" feature. 

Pages 120 to 126 of the users manual cover protecting images, and also how to erase one, some, or all images.  Page 125-126 covers "erasing" all images on the card at once. 

I am not sure if reformatting the card every time instead of erasing the images can do any harm to your card or camera, but the "erase" function should be working.  Is it?  If it is not working, then perhaps either the card was locked, or the images were inadvertently "protected" by the camera.  Or perhaps something else.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements