cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help! my G12 display the settings but does not display nothing thru the lens, i have a black screen

gabrielbaja
Apprentice

Hello, I have a G12, it was working great untill today, First it took pictures and on the review is was just white,

IMG_4121[1].JPG

however I can see the pictures I took before, I can see the settings and the rest is just, I need advice on what to do, many thanks

3 REPLIES 3

smack53
Mentor

gabrielbaja,

I would first check a couple of items:

1. Does the menu show on the screen? If it does, try doing a Reset All under the tools menu.
  2. Are you in the mode that you are expecting to use? For example, are you in M mode instead of Auto. Try a few different modes to see if that has any effect.
  3. Did the built in lens cap open properly? If it didn't, try to open it with your fingers gently to see if that frees it up.
  4. It seems obvious that the screen is okay, so it might possibly be the image sensor or the processor. Have you tried shooting in RAW format to see if you get anything on the screen when you do an image playback? If you do, then the processor is the possible culprit. If there is still nothing, then the sensor could be the culprit. Either way, that would require servicing which could be pretty expensive. 

I have this same camera so I know how much it must mean to you. I sure hope it's nothing major.

Steve M.

Many thanks, Yes i like very much this camera, I'm a Locaction Manager for the Film Ind. so I use this G12 a LOT, it's very frustrating since is the only one I have, I tried all Your sugestions and it does not work, I live in Tijuana and there's no one I can trust to open'it, any sugestions to where to fix'it

cheers

Unfortunately this forum is the Canon USA site, so they do not deal with other countries. Perhaps Canon Tijuana can look at it, so I would suggest you google them for the contact information.

Steve M.

Announcements