cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

focus issues

CptFantaztic
Apprentice

Have a SX poweshot 160 IS that I use during home exterior inspections. Recently when I try and take pics of the roof shingles, the camera wont fully focus and the pics are blurry. Just started doing this. Hate to have to buy a different camera. Any tips?

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Did it used to work on shingles? Does it work OK on other subjects?

There may not be enough contrast to allow focus to work. Try focusing on edge of roof.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes it just started to have issues with the pics. Have used it over a year and just now having issues. Thought the batteries might be weak and wouldn't allow it to hold focus but new batteries didn't help.

Several questions for you:

1. are you working in very cold weather? My SX150 has a problem focusing if I try to use it too quickly after taking it out of my pocket and the lens "fogs" up preventing a good focus. Usually need to wait a few minutes for mine to adapt to the cold.
  2. are you zooming in to get greater detail? you may need to either move back (without falling off the roof) or use less zoom. I found that I need to be aware of the focal distance more so when zoomed.
  3. Are you using a small or large aperture? (manual mode). try setting the aperture to f8.0 if you are in manual mode.
  4. is the focus assist beam turned on? Check the menu to see if it's off.
  5. The contrast idea is the most likely culprit. I use an index card or piece of paper to help with the focusing. The SX160 uses contrast detection so if there is not much color variation this helps a lot to achieve focus. Just place the index card on the roof in the area you want to take the shot. (I'm assuming you're not taking all the shots from a ladder only).
  6. As a last resort you could try using the manual focus feature of the camera, but it is a real pain on that camera. 

Steve M.

I am taking the pics from the ground. When I take pics of architectural shingles is ok but just the plain roof shingles is what I am having trouble with so it has to be the contrast issue. Funny that I never had a problem with it until recently tho. I appreciate your help and I will do what I can to try and get clear pics. Again, Thank You

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements